iPhone 3Gs Text Stress Test

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by millertime021, Jul 29, 2010.

1. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

So a few months back, a coworker and I were curious how the iPhone text message badge would handle large numbers of text messages and how the phone would react.

Basically, my coworker wrote up a program to send texts to my phone via email. (Fun fact, gmail only allows 500 sent messages a day ;))

After a few weeks of spamming my phone, it felt like my phone was getting slower with the crazy amounts of unread texts. So anyway, here are the pics.

iPhone was running 3.1.2 (maybe 3.1.3)

As you can see, it craps out after 9,999. Even 10302 would look like 10...2.

Attached Files:

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I wonder if Apple are going to call a press conference to address this issue.

3. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Amazing lol. Out of curiosity, how does your program work and how'd you write it?

4. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

You have inspired me to write an applescript to test how long it'll take for my iPhone 4 to slow down. Luckily I have more than enough gmail accounts to get this done in a matter of days if not hours.

5. millertime021 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Sadly, it's Windows based so I can run it on my MBP; I had to use my desktop PC.

Basically, it has a real simple interface:

email:
    email password:
    Recipient email: phonenumber@txt.att.net
    Subject:
    Body:
    Number of times to be sent:

It works wonders for people trying to prank you. It's a great way to get them back. It locks up old phones due to the stream of alerts and for iPhone users, it makes it almost unusable due to that stupid popup box.

I'll get more details in a sec. I have to go look at it as it's been a while.

6. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

ROFL.. just think if you messed up your account and didn't have unlimited texts! lol

Interesting experiment.

7. millertime021 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Do it, post some results. I didn't feel much lag on my 3Gs until a few thousand texts had been received. Then when I'd open apps, I could feel some lag while using them. Also, the OS just felt bogged down.

8. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Wow, doesn't show 10,000? Apple is going severely down hill, this is arguably worse than the antenna issue, unbelievable

9. millertime021 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millertime021

I have unlimited :D
    and I only sent just over 13k that month. Since it was started halfway between cycles. I've sent just under 13k normally, so I wasn't concerned haha

but now its a more reasonable 1500 or so.

10. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Can't wait to see what happens when I charge my phone once the battery dies. Over 100 emailed text messages sent to my phone and down 1% so far.

11. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

Can you post the script? Thanks :)

12. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Code:
    repeat 1000 times
    	set mail_dest to "XXXXXXXXXX@mms.att.net"
    	delay 1
    	set subj to "SMS Script"
    	delay 1
    	set the_content to "Hello!"
    	delay 1
    	set from_acct to "MYEMAIL@ACCOUNT.TLD"
    	delay 1
    	tell application "Mail"
    		set theNewMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {sender:from_acct, subject:subj, content:the_content, visible:true}
    		delay 2
    		tell theNewMessage
    			make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {address:mail_dest}
    			delay 2
    			send
    			delay 15
    		end tell
    		delay 5
    	end tell
    	delay 10
    end repeat
    I have a bunch of these open with different "from" email accounts, [ignore]but I can't remember exactly how to change the "from" email address correctly. It seems to launch mail with the correct address the first time, but then stays with whichever opened mail first.[/ignore]

I'll probably just turn on my old home server so I can send unlimited amounts of emails later.

I had to unlock my phone at around 600 messages and a lot were marked as read. I'm going to start over when I go to bed I guess.

edit: fixed it :)

13. millertime021 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millertime021

At first, I had the issue of accidentally opening a few hundred. However, when I started using the number@txt.att.net, it would send each one as a new thread of messages and then overlap every couple of hundred.

Basically, I had to wipe my phone and restore once I finished. Luckily I had prepared to do just that. :cool:

14. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

I had a little under 4,000 messages as of this morning and I do not notice any change in performance (see below for the exception to this). If there is any speed change, then it's probably negligible. It may take an extra half second to open the messages app, but that I'm not even sure of. Couldn't let it keep running all day, but I'll let it run some more this weekend.

Here's what I did notice though:

After a while I stopped receiving messages (at about 100 or so within a short period of time) and then I wouldn't receive another message for another half hour, during this half hour I would get a message every second and I would lose service for about 10-20 seconds.

15. Nba247365 macrumors member

16. Evacity macrumors newbie

Can someone post the windows version and how to use it :) This is perfect for messing with my friends.

17. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

18. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

This is actually pretty dangerous: sending massive amounts of texts to a phone user is pretty much sending them a DoS attack. The user's phone will be unusable while it is being pummeled with texts, and if they don't have unlimited texts, then damn, you just cost them a whole lot of money.

19. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

Wait... you guys in the US have to pay to receive text messages? That is insane.

20. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Kinda like "jumping off a cliff" dangerous? Or more like "actually not that dangerous" dangerous

21. Nba247365 macrumors member

yea, 10 cents for each additional text we use (after the amount we have in our texting plan)

22. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

That is really odd, as you aren't actually "using" anything - simply receiving something. They wouldn't ask you to pay for incoming calls would they?

23. Nba247365 macrumors member

yea they actually would, if you use all of your monthly minutes, and don't have any rollover minutes, it will cost you 45 cents per minute (incoming or outgoing)

24. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

I think it's very dangerous because someone malicious using that program could cause another user's cellphone to become inoperable. Sending a concentrated burst of texts at once is the same as a Denial of Service attack; in other words, it's the same as spamming a cellphone to death.

Furthermore, the user will incur heavy overage fees if they don't have an unlimited plan. AT&T would probably waive the fees for you if they see that they all were sent with malicious intent, but I think that they should definitely take measures to ensure that they only way to send and receive an SMS is through a cellphone.

OP I don't mean to demean your script or anything like that, I just thought that the idea of sending a text via email using a script is potentially dangerous.

25. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

One of my email accounts I don't really use / check. It's a throw away account full of spam that's been collecting for years. That STILL has less than 10,000 unread messages.