iPhone 3GS Texting Plan and GPS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by travistaylor, Jun 13, 2009.

1. travistaylor macrumors regular

I am upgrading to a 32GB iPhone 3GS from my 4GB first gen iPhone. I am on a Family Plan that includes Unlimited Texting. As of right now, I am paying for the standard $20.00 data plan and nothing else on my iPhone.

When I preordered my 32GB iPhone 3GS from Apple.com, there was no option to add a texting plan. Only the data plan was offered.

My question is, does the unlimited texting plan still apply to my iPhone like it does now with my first gen iPhone?

Also, is there an extra monthly fee to enable GPS on the iPhone 3GS?

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

On the original iPhone the $20 gave you unlimited data and 200 text messages. On the 3G and 3GS it is $30 for the data only. You have to add a text plan. I think it is $5 for 200, $15 for 1500 and $20 for unlimited.

Not extra charge for GPS.

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I can't help you with the text part because I had the option to choose my plan when I ordered mine on Apple.

As far as the GPS goes, it's included in your $30.00 unlimited data plan.

Edit: Beat to the punch...

4. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

I'm on a Family Plan as well and I've had the Unlimited Messaging since before I got my 3G. It works for any phone and will work for the 3GS, you'll just have to add the $30 Data plan to your line (in your case, just paying $10 more a month).

Edit: I also went onto Apple.com earlier this week to try and Pre-order and I wasn't presented with a text plan option either. I'm just assuming that it recognizes that we have the Unlimited Messaging and therefore we don't need that option.

5. travistaylor thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect! That's what I assumed as well, and it seems that since others have said they had an option to add a texting plan, our assumption is correct.

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses. I've been a long time follower of MacRumors (well before my 2006 join-date)...but never taken advantage of the forums. I will most certainly not make that mistake again!

6. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

GPS uses satelites that are run by the US Gov't. AT&T can not charge to use the GPS on any phone, except for the iPhone 2G because that one uses the cell towers to triangulate your position. GPS does not use cell towers. If anyone ever tries to charge you for GPS access, other than the hardware or an initial software fee, they are wrong and need to be reported to the FCC.