Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superspiffy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
I just traded my black 16 gb iPhone 3G for a white 32 gb 3GS and I could finally say I have the perfect phone. A++!

Even though I loved my 3G (which is the first cell phone that I've truly enjoyed) I still couldn't give it a higher grade than an A-. It's biggest problem... it was just too slow for what it tries to do. It gets bogged down when refreshing web pages, finding directions, loading the iPod app, etc... and crashes happen a little too much. And some of the more graphic intensive games lagged too much that it really wasn't practical to play them on the 3G.

I did jailbreak the 3G but I did not install any resource hogging apps like Backgrounder, winterboard, themes, etc. And I've heard jailbreaking in of itself wouldn't slow the phone down anyway. But I've jailbroken my 3GS with confidence and there's no slow down whatsoever. I can actually appreciate must have functions like multitasking through Backgrounder.

The 3GS with its faster processor and doubled RAM is really what the iPhone 3G should've been (I know I know. lol) And the added magnetometer, voice control, are the icing on an already delicious :apple: cake.

Cask

Jul 14, 2008
While I wouldn't go as far as calling it perfect, the 3GS is a major improvement over the original 3G, and makes it a lot more enjoyable to use. The speed differences and RAM were worth it by themselves. And while it still crashes sometimes, never as frequently as the 3G. Would have like it better screen resolution + refreshed design to go with it, but it is still an amazing phone!

Games like DOOM Resurrection, Need for Speed or MC: Sandstorm run a lot better and smoother on the 3GS compared to the original.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Its def a great phone. Im just getting bored of iphones in general though :p I need to switch to something lesser to remind myself how much I miss it haha.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I say it 90% perfect. 5% loss needing better notifications & another 5% for lack of email & sms/mms tone configuration. It's the sacrafice I'm willing to deal with since everything else is so flawless. Once apple fixes the these small little setbacks, then critics will surely have nothing valid to say.

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
i just upgraded from a 16gb 3G to a 32gb 3GS on friday, and I really can't believe the difference! no more crashes, no more battery issues, it loads webpages superfast, and best of all, the anti-grease coating! my phone no longer feels like a piece of bacon, it feels like i just cleaned it every time i use it.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
I would have to say I agree.

Best phone / mp3 player/ turn by turn gps/ internet browser/ calculator/ games console/video camera (it plays video you would not believe was taken on a phone on a 42 inch screen honestly) book reader oh and before I forget alarm clock Iv'e EVER owned.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Can't agree with that. It has some good specs but it still missing:

-5MP camera
-camera flash
-higher res camera (maybe support for their new 960x540 iFrame format)

The reason I ask for a better res for camera and video is so it can look better on the Apple TV. It's fine for the web but not for living room screens.

As for the software, there is still a ways to go even though it's not apart of this topic. Things like multitasking, better push notification system, API for apps to communicate with each other (like editing Office email attachments).

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
but

Can't agree with that. It has some good specs but it still missing:

-5MP camera
-camera flash
-higher res camera (maybe support for their new 960x540 iFrame format)

The reason I ask for a better res for camera and video is so it can look better on the Apple TV. It's fine for the web but not for living room screens.

As for the software, there is still a ways to go even though it's not apart of this topic. Things like multitasking, better push notification system, API for apps to communicate with each other (like editing Office email attachments).

higher res does not mean better a mistake often made a better sensor honestly would be preferred the sensor is vg but not in low light situations but I have seen my 3gs take better photo's then many 5gb cell phones out there. btw there is software out there that can increase the size of megapixals to anything you want I don't remember the name of the software at the moment software is pretty cool you can make a 3gs photo large enough to cover a wall. if somebody else doesn't post it I will find out what it is. if you want. btw my problems are software such as running apps in the background so I have to JB making so not perfect out of the box. ;)

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
higher res does not mean better a mistake often made a better sensor honestly would be preferred the sensor is vg but not in low light situations but I have seen my 3gs take better photo's then many 5gb cell phones out there. btw there is software out there that can increase the size of megapixals to anything you want I don't remember the name of the software at the moment software is pretty cool you can make a 3gs photo large enough to cover a wall. if somebody else doesn't post it I will find out what it is. if you want. btw my problems are software such as running apps in the background so I have to JB making so not perfect out of the box. ;)

I concede there are many other factors involved such as the sensor and lens but essentially all I want is the current quality with a larger size. Currently iPhone shots on a 27" HDTV look really grainy. Apple is good at providing an end to end solution. While the pictures are good for sites like flickr, it doesn't look on an Apple TV. If there is a software solution for this I'll gladly get it.

I'd agree with your comment that it does look better than many 5MP phones such as the recently released Droid.

All in all, though, I would say that the 3GS is fine and much of the work that needs to be done is with the OS right now because things like the PNS look like patchwork rather than a refined solution.

Timmbo

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
England
Even though I loved my 3G (which is the first cell phone that I've truly enjoyed) I still couldn't give it a higher grade than an A-. It's biggest problem... it was just too slow for what it tries to do. It gets bogged down when refreshing web pages, finding directions, loading the iPod app, etc... and crashes happen a little too much. And some of the more graphic intensive games lagged too much that it really wasn't practical to play them on the 3G.

It was too slow, bogged down when common and everyday tasks, crashes happened too much and intensive games weren't playable... yet you'd give it an A-?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I agree that the 3GS is currently the best overall phone out there. However, there is *finally* going to be some notable competition this year which will hopefully prompt Apple to include some interesting new features in the next version.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
I say it 90% perfect. 5% loss needing better notifications & another 5% for lack of email & sms/mms tone configuration. It's the sacrafice I'm willing to deal with since everything else is so flawless. Once apple fixes the these small little setbacks, then critics will surely have nothing valid to say.

Those are OS improvements, not physical phone improvements.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
I have a 3GS and when I was checking out my friend's 3G, I could not believe just how slow it was. Even just flipping through the app pages have lag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.