iphone 3GS tiny scratches on the actual screen or the Oleophobic Screen Coating.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bonds79, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

From Normal use I am noticing tiny scratches on my iphone 3GS screen, while i know that the glass is tough to scratch, is it possible that the Oleophobic Coating is easy to scratch making it look as if the screen is scratched?

I am using my 3GS the same as I used my 3G but my 3G has no scratches on the screen while the 3GS has tiny scratched on the glass screen. As if the coating is getting scratched!

Anyone else noticed this?:mad:

2. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Nope....I just a 3M clear cover ovr my screen before I even turned my 3GS on. :D

3. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I have read some comments here saying the oleophobicness is infused with the glass and thus can't scratch off because its not actually a 'coating'. Others here say it really is just a coating thats hard to scratch off. I guess I don't really know for sure but I suspect that the oleophobicness has something to do with it.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've not seen any scratches on my phone but there are a few threads here about it, and the odds are pretty good that is the coating and not the glass

Here's an interesting read on the coating gizmodo

because of the coating and the prospect of scratches, I've ordered a case with a cover to protect the screen

5. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

6. dagomike macrumors 65816

in the manual or somewhere Apple said the coating may/will eventually wear off. My guess is it won't scratch off unless you're removing glass, but may wear off with an abrasive. Probably not a big deal, but just keep it clean with a good cleaner and cloth.

7. Bonds79 thread starter macrumors 6502

:mad:

8. mikey28 macrumors 6502

This is exactly why I put a PowerSupport cystal film on my 3GS, right out of the box.

Scratches of ANY type on the screen would RUIN the whole iPhone experience. I cannot imagine having to look at the screen with scratches on it.

Advice: Put a screen cover on now, before it gets worse.

9. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

For you.

You should appreciate that not every user obsesses over tiny cosmetic imperfections with the thing, and wouldn't even be bothered by small scratches.

Virtually every smart phone other than the iPhone has a plastic screen, and we are all used to those getting scratched up over time.

If it bothers you too much then sure, get a screen protector.

I've always just put my iPhone in my pocket. Layering it in armor and padding sort of ruins the form factor of the phone for me.

10. ratpackjj macrumors member

After reading Bill Nye's article, it seems as the the coating on the glass of the Iphone 3GS may make them more susceptible to scratching than plain glass. A material's resistance to scratching is associated with what is know as 'hardness'. Typically soda lime glass (common glass) has a hardness much higher than polymeric composites. A rule of thumb is that one material can scratch another if it's at least 1/3 the hardness the other material. My guess is yes, oleophobic coatings make the 3GS easier to scratch. But I would also think the Apple engineers tried scratch tests before approving the chemistry and materials used in the Iphone and found them acceptable.

11. Versus macrumors member

Let's just say that coating is the culprit here. How could that even be possible? Did apple even test this oleophobic nonsense? They probably did, actually, with some high-tech simulation test equiptment. Why not just let Bob from accounting carry a 3GS around for week next to a set keys and see what happens! Or are real life situations to obvious?

I dunno, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Did anyone even ask for an oleophobic coating to begin with? The last thing the iPhone needed was another issue to add to the already lengthy list .

12. trssho macrumors 6502

Ugh!!!!

My screen has been running nude for the last 3 days, and I have a scratch! Have always used screen protectors on my iPhones and iPod touch. Not happy! I knew better, but kind of liked the oileophobic thingy!

PS, didn't drop, always in a pocket by itself.

13. Killquake macrumors member

When you guys say a scratch, are you saying that you can see the scratch when the screen is off and you reflect light off the screen, or a deep gash like scratch that is visible and gives that kind of rainbow effect on the screen when your on a white screen. I have a deep one on my iPhone 2g which is annoying, but I don't mind the little tiny surface scratches that are only visible when light is reflected. Anyone?

14. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

screen covers of ANY type on the screen ruin the whole iPhone experience (I didn't realize it was an experience, I just thought it was a phone. Silly me). I cannot imagine having to look at the screen with shimering or bubbles or ripples or low resulution or any of the things the various screen protectors do.

All of screen "protectors" make the screen look horrible by having ripples or rainbows or killing the resolution. I have noticed no scratches on the screen or back at all. Still perfect. Not tha I expect it to stay that way.

I however do have some bezel scratches from where I dropped in my driveway while pulling it out.

Get over don't demand a replacment for a simpleissue every time it comes up. That's the reason these cost so much. I understand it crack easy, but the screen on every other phone scratch easy and you dont see ppl going and complaining to verizon or RIM if there curve screen gets scracthed. Accept that it will happen and realize you don't have to be a nancy boy just becuase you phone is scratched by normal use.
    But if it comes out of the box then that is reasonable but once you take it home you acknoldge that it will be subject to"normal wear and tear" which include cracks or scratchs of any kind.

15. Gundampilotspaz macrumors member

I had a deep scratch on my 1st gen and lived with it for two years. Honestly, you stop noticing after a day or two. In fact a screen protector makes it harder to see! I have a few scratches in my 3GS now and it's my fault for not putting a protector on the phone. When it get home tonight I will use my spare cover I still have from my 1st gen and I should be able to live with this tiny problem.

16. jstevenson72 macrumors newbie

Scratches Indeed...

I have owned my iPhone 3G for 6 months, and without a screen protector have had 0 scratches. And I was rough on it... (Zero on the face, the back is rather opaque now...)

I just bought the 3Gs two days ago, and I just noticed this morning two small scratches on the glass (or coating, or whatever it is now...).

They are thin and shallow but when running your finger nail upside down on the face you can feel the scratch. So it indeed feels as though there is some new "coating" on the glass. The past two days my phone was only in a pocket by itself. I had trained myself to put keys and money on one pocket, and the phone in the other, so there is no reason for the scratch...

I'm very disappointed , why "fix" something that wasn't broke. I'd rather wipe of a smudge, than look through a scratch...

Jason

17. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Just want to add to that I don't even notice a reduction in smudges.

I ended up going against what I originally said and put on a invisible shield front only to go along with my incase. Had a best buy rewards $10 certificate so for $10 not bad.

Although my 2G screen was perfect after going caseless / no screen protector for 2 years I'm positive that the 3GS screen will scratch.

I'm one of those people who pay way too much attention to detail and a tiny scratch would drive me nuts. Only because I'm trying to keep it mint. My 2G back was all beat up but it didn't bother me cause from day one plan was just to use it and not worry about resale or anything.