iPhone 3GS to 4 set up question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lexicographer, Mar 20, 2015.

1. lexicographer macrumors newbie

This is probably a simple answer-
    I have an iPhone 3GS. A family member in another state with an iPhone 4 bought a new phone and has given me their old 4. We share the same AT&T carrier and account, but different phone #'s of course. She activated her new LG phone through a Best Buy and they did the set up. I'm assuming the LG uses a smaller SIM card since they left the old SIM in the iPhone 4. When I turn on the phone, the "HELLO" screen comes up and asks me to set up the phone and connect to iTunes. How do I continue with the setup? Do I keep the original family members SIM card in and follow the set up and place my 3GS SIM card (knowing it has to be modified) in afterwards? Or do I put my 3GS card in and then go through the set up? I see some sites saying to keep the original SIM card in while setting up the phone.

2. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

You can go through the set up with the deactivated family members SIM in the iPhome 4 but to make calls you will need the 3GS SIM. If you don't want to cut down the full size SIM to a Micro-SIM to fit the iPhone 4, you can take it to an AT&T store and the can install a new Micro-SIM and activate the iPhone 4 on your existing account (there shouldn't be any charge).