Iphone 3GS to Iphone 4 SIM question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ferris23, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

AT&T for some reason keeps telling me that there are no differences in the SIM card used between Iphone 3GS and Iphone 4. On more than one occasion even though I keep telling them it uses the micro SIM now.

I've done some searching and found a little info but I can basically just cut my 3GS SIM to fit?

I'm doing an upgrade swap and it would be much easier to just pop the SIM from my 3GS in the new phone rather than deal with AT&T and switching numbers around because of the SIM cards.

Thanks and sorry if I missed this in a search.

2. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

Wow, no one knows this?

Maybe I should have posted about a pre-order problem instead.

:(

3. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

4. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

5. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Wish I could help you out, as I am in the same boat. I heard about cutting it, but I'm not sure if that's the way to go. I really don't want to pick up my phone at Apple, then wait in line at an AT&T store just to do the upgrade swap. Ugh!

6. bmms8 macrumors 68020

ferris i am really sorry no one answered this for you. it might have gotten lost with all the new threads and posts that push them to the top. youre right in stating the new phone uses a micro sim.

woops i didnt even read your whole post haha :(

ATT should give you a new micro sim card in order to do a line swap. hopefully they will have these extras for you when you pick up your phone. you can also cut it like you stated. good luck!

7. gdlcjr macrumors regular

You don't have to worry about the sim, you still maintain your number and it will be transferred to your new micro sim when you activate it.

8. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

you will get a smaller sim card with the iphone4. just plug it in, sync it with your itunes account to activate the unit, and that's it. your old one will probably be inactive after that.

9. bmms8 macrumors 68020

maybe i wasnt the only one who didnt read this entire question :p

10. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Haha, yours was more on topic than any of the other responses.

If the micro sim is blank, wouldn't apple be able to call AT&T before activating my phone & tell them it's an upgrade swap? I don't want to have to deal with AT&T after waiting at Apple.

11. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the help. If I activiate the SIM they sent me then my fathers phone will stop functioning because his SIM will be deactivated.

I'm aware I can contact AT&T and have them swap info around on the SIMS I just wanted to know if I cut my SIM if I could avoid using a new SIM all together.

I'll have a read of that guide...

Edit: NM the guide doesn't mention anything about the possibility of cutting the SIM and using the old 3GS SIM

Looks like I'll just have to contact someone at AT&T and deal with a bit of a wait.

Just to make it clear, when I get the new phone as part of an upgrade swap, I have to contact AT&T so they can change the numbers associated with the SIM they sent, since it will be tied to the other users account on our plan. I'm just trying to avoid that by somehow using my old SIM.

12. HollyW00d81 macrumors newbie

It's sad that a newbie has to answer this question, but yes if you absolutely have to you can cut your SIM and fit it into the micro SIM slot. The circuitry on both cards are the same, the micro SIM just has less plastic. People have been doing this on the iPad 3g.

13. bmms8 macrumors 68020

haha thanks. if you are getting your phone from apple, id recommend calling them to make sure they can do line swaps at the store. it might be best to go to ATT but if they can do them there then great. if they tell you that youll need the micro sim in hand, then maybe the night before you can go to ATT and get one.. though your phone would be out of commission for the time being unless you get an adapter before the 24th.

14. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

Great thanks, read the post above in case you weren't sure why I wanted to do that. I posted the same time as you.

:)

I just have a feeling if I have to deal with AT&T I'm going to be waiting a long time and it would just be easier to chop my SIM down a bit and call it a day.

Come to think of it though I'd have to call them anyway to remove the data plan that was pseudo added before activation in order to get the phone for the upgrade swap to begin with.

15. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

what kind of info does the iphone store on the sim card?

16. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Exactly. I don't want to get my phone & not be able to use it because it's on my Mom's number. I shall call today. Hopefully, something will pan out.

17. bmms8 macrumors 68020

are you picking up at ATT? if you are, then they will take care of you. thousands of people will be doing line swaps so they will hopefully be prepared but i dont see why they wouldnt. good luck.

18. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks, no it's being delivered to my office via AT&T pre order.

19. bmms8 macrumors 68020

to my understanding it is just the number. apple deals with all the information being on the phone itself.

20. bmms8 macrumors 68020

ah i see.. to do a line swap you might have to go in store. personally i try to avoid att altogether but when it comes to line swaps and what not, i think its best they handle it. you can get it delivered home but go to ATT and they will hopefully activate and swap it for you.

21. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah probably the best idea, I just want to avoid:

1) Screwing up the other users line in any way or disrupting their service

2) Lose my unlimited data because of an error with activation

I'll just go to the store against my will.

;)