Iphone 3GS to Iphone 4 upgrade questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wannabelean, Sep 17, 2010.

1. wannabelean macrumors 6502

Hello All

My cousin is due for an iphone 4 upgrade and I was wondering if I could use the phone myself. She said the upgrade costs about $250 odd or so which I will pay to her. I'm currently in the USA and am using an ATT gophone sim. Can an upgrade be taken at the store without activation? My cousin is sure about not upgrading to any version of Iphone in the next 18 months so she doesn't care about missing out on the future Iphone. She says that Apple will activate the phone and sim to her phone number on the spot and it may not work

Also can it be jailbroken and unlocked in the future so that I can use it in the United Arab Emirates.

What do you think guys?

Thanks

2. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

Not sure about the first part, but the 2nd part - the phone will most likely come with 4.0.2 or 4.1 - neither of which are jailbroken. There wont be a jailbreak for 4.0.2 but for 4.1 its being worked on. Then after that you still need to wait for Ultrasn0w update to be able to unlock the phone. You also will not be able to downgrade to 4.0.1/4.0. So at this time - no, you cannot jailbreak it and therefore unlock it to be used in UAE.

3. wannabelean thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!