Iphone 3GS touch screen going CRAZY?!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DustyLBottoms, Jul 26, 2010.

1. DustyLBottoms macrumors regular

Ok, so my co-worker's 3GS is possesed. Apps open at random, things type out. People get called, etc..

We did a backup & Restore. And it still happens!

Anyone ever see anything like this? I took a video with my ihpone 4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3j_ANeRTbk&feature=youtube_gdata

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J3j_ANeRTbk&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J3j_ANeRTbk&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

2. DustyLBottoms thread starter macrumors regular

Bump, anyone?!

3. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

looks to me like your being haunted! :eek:

seriously I have not seen this before but it is a software issue. when you restored your phone using your backup you put the corruption back on. try a clean restore and see it if still happens. dont restore from your backup. or just send it back to apple and they will replace it but they will have you restore it before you send it back to them.

4. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

I have seen this on a dropped phone. I changed the screen and LCD as both smashed and from then on, the phone did the same as you say. I could only put it down to logic board damage since I could not see, nor find any other fault.

5. DustyLBottoms thread starter macrumors regular

After we restored from backup and the issue was still there, we went ahead and tried to set it up as a new phone.

No dice, it still does it!:eek:

6. damojag macrumors newbie

damojag

This happened to my 3G - I let it fall and the screen shattered, sent it away to Apple and they replaced the screen but the home button was loose and at random intervals when I try to text someone, all I can do is hope that the gremlins press the correct buttons - hard restore fixes it for a while but I need to take it to the Apple Store as I can't be doing a hard restore every time I try to tap out an email or text

7. SkottDMD macrumors 6502

I've had the same thing happen with an iPod Touch. Certain areas of the screen wouldn't recognize a touch, apps randomly launched (it loved opening Facebook), phantom typing, sleep/wake responded randomly, etc. It was my fault, had it in a case, working in hot and humid whether. The entire back of the iPod was covered in moisture and while it didn't trigger any of the water sensors it certainly took its toll on the internals. So unless your friend can think of some external factor (drop/humidity) than I would suggest taking it to Apple.

8. lilgto64 macrumors member

Old post I know but my observation

I have this happen when I am plugge into a wall outlet to USB charter that I bought online for a couple dollars. I have bought about a dozen of these non-apple AC to USB chargers and list of them work but for some reason this one causes trouble. I tried multiple different wires with it but when plugged in the touch screen appears to have gone wacky. Unplugging from the charger makes the problem go away. Not sure if it something not wires right or too much power or what.