iPhone 3gs - uninstall blacksn0w RC1 before RC2 install?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mreddys10, Mar 28, 2010.

1. mreddys10 macrumors regular

Hi,
    I have a 3GS (tethered) with 3.1.2 and 5.11 baseband. It's currently unlocked with blacksn0w. I don't have any real problems with it other than random signal losses on 3G for a few seconds sometimes.

I was reading about blacksn0w RC2 being released, and I have a couple of questions:

1. Do I have to uninstall RC1 before I install RC2, or will it just 'update' it to RC2?
    2. Since I am not really having problems right now, is it necessary for me to update? (I ask because I have seen a lot of people having problems like blacksn0w stops working, and their phone gets stuck in a boot-loop. It seems to happen quite suddenly, without any warning)

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good question.
    I also wonder if you can install RC2 straght without having the first blacksnow installed?
    Since the RC2 is a better and more less troubled unlock.

3. mreddys10 thread starter macrumors regular

4. mreddys10 thread starter macrumors regular

I found out that the RC2 DOES fix the boot loop issue too. So, I've decided to install the RC2. How do I uninstall blacksn0w though? I installed mine directly from blackra1n, NOT through cydia. So, it does not show up in 'packages' in cydia.

Any help?

5. simer macrumors newbie

I was wondering this myself, but when you go into the install page of a package there is a list of actions that the installer will complete and one of them for this installer is to remove Blacksn0w (RC1). I tried it and it worked so give it a go. That is unless you don't have your SHSH blob for 3.1.2 stored somewhere. I would have thought "if it ain't that broke don't fix it" applies here.

It seems to fix the Wifi issue I had though, which is that I had to reboot an even number of times (not just once) to get it to work. It does take a while to reboot though, but since I am tethered, I don't plan on doing this that often.

You've got to tip your hat to these guys, by which I mean the whole "grey" iPhone hacking community.

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

blackra1n doesn't use apt to install blacksn0w, so I am not sure there is any way to uninstall it short of restoring (which I realize is not an option for many people).

As an aside: does this RC2 claim to fix the original blacksn0w's WiFi issues, or only an issue introduced by an earlier test version of RC2? I understood that this was only a fix to allow blacksn0w to work with 3.1.3.

7. simer macrumors newbie

As I mentioned, the installer removes the original Blacksn0w. The chap that distributes it said so on his Twitter just recently. And yes, he does claim to fix the Wifi issues. If you look on his forum he has posted an announcement that does this. I don't know if I'm allowed to post links here so...

It has definitely fixed my Wifi issue, but I am not 100 percent sure that mine was typical, but I am grateful anyway!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice.
    Sounds like the blacksnow RC2 is a better alternative with less sideffects :)

9. mreddys10 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, pushfix claims that its not just a fix for 3.1.3, but that it even fixes the WiFi and the boot loop issues in 3.1.2. If this is the case, I dont want to take the chance of leaving blacksn0w RC1 on my phone, and take the risk of any of these issues. I installed pushfix from cydia to avoid the WiFi issues, but I keep getting random push messages that are not meant for me...lol.

@simer: Did you install blacksn0w from blackra1n too? And RC2 uninstalled that first?

And I do have my SHSH saved, but its a pain to reinstall everything again :)

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

From reading a few things I got the idea that you can install RC2 over the first blacksnow and it will remove the old and update it.
    Not 100% though.

11. mreddys10 thread starter macrumors regular

OK..thanks. I was not sure if it would remove the original because it was not installed through cydia. But I think I can wait a few more days and get a proper confirmation since if something does happen, I can still restore.

12. simer macrumors newbie

Yes, I did and RC2 did unindstall Blacksn0w RC1.

Here's a quote from pushfix's Twitter in direct response to someone asking your exact question:

"Yes. It is designed so that it can be installed over existing blacksn0w."

I did it this morning and it has definitely sorted my Wifi issue.

13. mreddys10 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for clearing that up. Guess I will go ahead and update as well. Thanks!

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I'm giving it a try. I previously used blacksn0w even though I'm on AT&T in anticipation of foreign travel that never occurred, and uninstalled it after experiencing the WiFi issue several times. I figure it'll be a good a good test of the fix.

15. mreddys10 thread starter macrumors regular

Let us know how it goes. My WiFi is acting up (the router, not the phone :D). will try it later.

16. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

So far so good. But, then, my WiFi issues showed up several weeks after installing the original blacksn0w and didn't happen all the time. It does take much longer initially to get a signal, since this new version waits much longer before applying the unlock (to improve stability and eliminate the WiFi issue, as I understand it).

17. phrint macrumors 6502

blacksn0w rc2 did not fix my wifi problems with my 3GS running 3.1.2. I didn't get any of the push issues that others had just the wifi. I have a 3G that was unlocked with blacksn0w and my wifi works perfectly. This is really frustrating almost to the point that I am willing to give up my jailbreak.

My network is accessed just fine and shows the signal as full but it drops to nothing when I start to use it. It phases out. This is the only remaining issue for me. Any help or guidance is appreciated. I have reset my network settings, rebooted, installed push fix, uninstalled push fix. Nothing works to fix my wifi issue.

18. mreddys10 thread starter macrumors regular

Did you try connecting to a different wireless connection?

19. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Two days later and still no Wi-Fi or other problems.

20. mreddys10 thread starter macrumors regular

I never had any issues with WiFi, but I do get random signal drops, maybe once a day (only when 3G is on). Does that happen a lot, or is it just on my phone?

21. niceguy85 macrumors newbie

my phone can not boot

:(
    Guys,

Need you help to solve this problem. I just unlocked my iphone 3g 3.1.3, baseband 05.x.x. with blacksn0w RC1. Previously I jailbreak it with spirit. Currently, the device can not boot. my itunes 9.1. even can not recognize it.

Pleaseee I do really need your help. Thanks

22. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

the 'x.x' of the 05.x.x is the important part. If your phone was updated to 3.1.3 stock, you will have the baseband of 05.12.01.
    This cannot be unlocked.
    You may have to put your phone into recovery, and or DFU mode, and restore.