iPhone 3gs unlock and jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mitch2025, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Mitch2025 macrumors newbie

Hi, I currently have an iPhone 2g that I jailbroke and unlocked myself. Now that the iPhone 4 is coming out and the price of the 3gs is dropping on ebay I was looking at buying a 3gs. However I looked into jailbreaking and unlocking them and for the most part it seems straight forward but I have read on some sites that if it has the 3.1.3 firmware (the only ones I find on ebay) than it might not be able to be jailbroken and some say that it can no matter what but cant be unlocked (which I need since I dont use ATT). I am really confused and would like some help in understanding what is the real answer.

Also I know that when 3.1.3 came out it was deemed un-jailbreakable so I ignored the sites that said it was impossible but some sites say it wont work if it updated the bootrom (non-MC model). Idk what that means...

So if anyone can shed some light on the subject I would appreciate it. Thanks!

2. Mitch2025 thread starter macrumors newbie

*bump*

Anyone? I would rather not buy an already unlocked one since it is easy to do it yourself and the unlocked ones are more expensive

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Buy a locked 3.1.3 since it will be cheaper.
    And soon when official 4.0 is out there will be a new JB and unlock. So you wont be waiting too long and you can get them now for a good price since most are trying to get rid of them to put the money towards an iphone 4.

4. jdzialak macrumors regular

3.1.3 is not unlockable yet. It may be soon. Supposedly 4.0 will be unlockable, so you can get a 3GS and when they crack 4.0, then put that on an unlock it?
    I went the easy route and got an unlocked 3GS with 3.1.2

Joe

5. Mitch2025 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am just not wanting to buy a currently unlockable 3gs only to find out it won't be able to be unlocked after 4.0 comes out :/

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Once its unlocked and JB now with the proper tools released by the Dev team you will be able to keep the unlocked baseband and JB when 4.0 is out.

7. Mitch2025 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I keep hearing people say that the new currently unlockable baseband is about to be able to be unlocked but I am unable to find any source for the info. So an iPhone 3gs that was updated to 3.1.3 using itunes with the official firmware (thus updating baseband to most recent) will be unlockable in just a few days?