iphone 3gs unlock, do I understand this corectly

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by learningasigo, Jun 24, 2011.

1. learningasigo macrumors newbie

Hello,

Let me first admit that I am new to this, but I have been learning a great deal as I've looked through the site for going on about 3 days now. I am hoping to get some clarification. I have an iphone 3gs and unwittingly moved it to 4.3.3 a couple of weeks ago, and I'm running 5.16.02 baseband. I'm going to be going to India for about 2 1/2 months and would love to use my iphone there. I cannot afford At&t's out of country charges, nor can I afford to buy an new factory unlocked phone. So let me make sure that I understand what I've learned so far and ask a couple of new questions that I haven't seen answered yet.

If I want to unlock my phone, the only way to do it is to install the ipad baseband, but in doing so I will very possibly loose my GPS function and will never be able to upgrade to a new firmware.(don't have waranty, so not worried about that) I also believe that I understand that I will never be able to restore my phone to its former state and therefore not be able to get GPS function back unless you guys figure out some new way around that problem. Am I correct in all of this?

Questions:
    I think that I saw that if I did this it is possible that I may not loose my GPS function, but just kind of a 50/50 thing and a big risk that I take?

I have also not been able to find a clear answer on whether or not I can still use at&t when I do this. I am still under contract, so while in the states, I need to stick with them. Several people said that Apple can tell I've done this, can AT&T, do they care?

How important is not being able to upgrade my firmware? I am a fairly basic user and have never been able to see any advantages in it before, so it doesn't feel like it will be that big of a deal.

If I follow all of the instructions, flow charts etc. given on this site, is installing the ipad baseband that difficult? I am, I would guess, about medium in ability and savyness when it comes to things like this (although I guess that depends on what your comparing me to) although I have no knowledge or understanding when it comes to actual programing etc. Would that kind of knowledge be necessary.

I would just get a cheap phone when i get to India, but I have a lot of useful stuff on my phone and will have to keep it with me anyway. Plus, going to a place like india, having an iphone would be so incredibly helpful getting around.

I think that's it. Thanks for your help

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Losing the GPS function when installing the ipad baseband is not 50/50. More like 90% you will lose it. Very few lucky ones didnt. If you like to gamble go for it.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you're going to get a cheap phone, don't install the iPad BB. I wouldn't want to lose GPS capability, and you can still use wifi over there if you can find a wifi hotspot. Put it in Airplane mode, turn off roaming, and turn on wifi and location services.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You have to use either pwnage or snowbreeze to create a custom ios firmware. You can't use a download from itunes to update. Actually, unlockers never update through itunes--if they have any sense.