iPhone 3Gs unlock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by youssefm, Jun 12, 2012.

1. youssefm macrumors 6502

Hello all!
    I still have an in-contract 3Gs that my mom is using, and I need to know what my options for unlocking are. I checked and it seems the phone can use an iPad baseband, but this will disable the gps and then I read if it's a 2012 3Gs that the iPad baseband fries it? I've searched and I'm still completely confused so maybe someone can help me. What should I do to unlock? (My last resort is paying etf and having AT&T do it for good, but I'd rather find a free solution if possible)

iPhone 3Gs (purchased October 2011)
    Model MC640LL
    Version 4.3.5 (8L1)
    Firmware 05.16.02

Thanks in advance for all the help :D

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You pretty much answered your own questions. Paying the ETF will be an expensive route but the safest to do. Installing the iPad baseband can get you the unlock but damage the phone.

3. youssefm thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the ETF route now will take too long. Called AT&T and they said I'd need to wait until the next billing cycle, long story. Anyway,

so, in terms of a free solution anyone have one? Will the jailbreak and unlock work for this phone? And if so, what are the steps or if there is a guide for it? Thanks

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

No ! Trying to install the iPad baseband on a 2012 phone will kill the baseband chip.
    It will not unlock the phone, it will cause it not to function with any sim.

5. youssefm, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

youssefm thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah that's what I thought, which is why I did not try. Now how exactly do I know if this iPhone is a 2012 phone or not? Is there any way I can figure out if the ipad baseband would work successfully on this phone or not?

*Well according to the serial number (if the 3rd digit is the last number of the year) it was manufactured in 2011, so the ipad baseband should work then, no?

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Read the post quick, didn't see the "2012"

7. LandonDonovan macrumors regular

Anything after July 2011 is iffy for the iPad baseband. You would have to pry up the lower shielding of the logic board with a flathead screwdriver from an iPhone or watch kit and verify the baseband chip in the lower left ends in EE and not EH. I'd save you the time by telling you yours has the new Toshiba chip and is not compatible.

Best option is to just sell the iPhone for $150 or so and try to buy an unlocked one for $200, in which case you can get a 16GB version. You can unlock in-contract iPhones in some cases if your account is current. Just keep calling AT&T until you reach someone who is willing to cooperate.

8. youssefm thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I think this is just going to be a difficult process, so I'll try to find another solution. We leave Thursday so that only gives us a day, so I'll see what AT&T can do if we upgrade to the cheapest phone and see if it takes this one off contract. Thanks for all the help you guys!

9. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Better still, http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html/ will give you the original productionweek as well when you input the serial number.

10. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

Google iPhone IMEI Unlock, I recommend someone like applenberry - 25 bucks and you're unlocked, permanently.
    DO NOT FLASH THE iPAD BASEBAND IF YOU WANT YOUR PHONE TO WORK EVER. IT'S NOT A MATTER OF "maybe it will work" - IT WILL NOT WORK.