iphone 3gs unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by riveting, Aug 10, 2012.

1. riveting macrumors 6502

Have not followed the info for some time, can iphone 3gs be software unlocked now? or can it be unlocked using a sim adapter? Was looking for buying a used one for a relative, but not sure about the unlocking method.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think the only way to software unlock it is still to use the iPad baseband which has a few issues with it, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you absolutely can't afford an officially unlocked iPhone.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Actually there's a new method to downgrade from the ipad bb to an older unlockable one with ultrasnow and still have everything function fine.
    But newer build 3GS models cannot be updated to the ipad bb and then downgraded and if one attempts it they could fry all the celullar radios on the phone and pretty much ruin it.
    If you do get it or before you get it post the first 5 digits of its serial number and we'll be able to tell you where it stands.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Do you have a link to how to do that? I've got an old 3G that I unlocked with the iPad bb and would love to have it as a backup phone without the problems that the iPad bb causes.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try iclarified.com
    They got tons of tutorials.
    All you need is the latest redsnow.

6. macnut2 macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if this helps, but i recently unlocked my iPhone 3GS by calling AT&T and confirming that I was beyond my 2-year contract. After that, they contact Apple, Apple eventually provided the unlock code (actually I think they unlocked the phone remotely) and then I had to do a reset in iTunes with the phone connected, and it became unlocked. If you bought a used Iphone 3GS, seems like it would be out of contract and you could do the same thing, or maybe just call Apple directly, provide the serial number and they'll unlock it.

7. riveting thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all. Here in Canada, most carriers don't unlock iphone, the one that does (Rogers) will only unlock it after the 3 year contract is end and you have to pay $50+tax for it. I don't think Apple will unlock the iphone without go through the carrier, I believe they have some agreement among each other that unlock can only be initiated by the carrier.