Iphone 3GS unlocked can it be updated

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lazytuna, May 15, 2011.

1. lazytuna macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a query regarding my Iphone 3GS - which is jailbroken and unlocked. ver-4.0, modem firmware -05.13.04 (duno if these details are enough). After its been unlocked I have never updated the IOS from Itunes as I fear if i Update I might loose the unlock facility. I am not sure if right, please advice. My iphone has gone really slow and froze quiet often. I believe its due to no updates. So can i go ahead click download new itunes and new OS will i loose the jailbreak & unlock facility ? please advice.

tuna.

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

You need to keep the 5.13 baseband if you want to be able to software unlock. DO NOT update with the official firmware because it will also update your baseband => possible no unlock.

Instead, create a custom firmware (upto 4.3.2 with saved old SHSH blobs or 4.3.3 w/o blobs) yourself using Pwnagetool(Mac) or Snowbreeze (windows). Or, you can google and download one from a trusted site. Make sure to select don't your current baseband and activate if you are not using the official carrier sim.

Once you have the custom file, use Pwnagetool(Mac) or Rednsow (windows) to put the phone into a special DFU mode, and then, restore with the custom firmware file through iTunes. After, install Ultrasnow through Cydia to unlock.

3. lazytuna thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

Thank you very much, appreciate it. Now let me get this right (Sorry i am not the one who jail broke the phone & have very less knowledge)

1. I should not update my phone using the itunes as it will change my base band which might loose unlock facility.

2. I have to keep the same base band/modem firmware -05.13.04, by creating a custom firmware (upto 4.3.2 with saved old SHSH blobs or 4.3.3 w/o blobs) using snowbreeze.

/*sorry i dont know wat shsh blobs mean*/

3. select don't your current baseband and activate if you are not using the official carrier sim.

4. Once you have the custom file, use Rednsow (windows) to put the phone into a special DFU mode

5. restore with the custom firmware file through iTunes.

6. install Ultrasnow through Cydia to unlock.

Just wondering is there a detailed step by step instructions in this forum or some where in the website of that you know.

Cheers,
    Tuna.

4. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Correct.

Since you don't know what SHSH blobs are, just create a 4.3.3 custom firmware.

Correct. Select don't update the baseband and activate the phone if you are not using the official carrier sim.

Correct.

Correct.

Correct.

Other than google for how to make a custom firmware file, every other step you should be able to follow.

5. lazytuna thread starter macrumors newbie

Brilliant ...

Thank you very much...

Cheers,
    Tuna