iPhone 3GS unlocking/jailbreaking guidance needed

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by chasmchasr, Jun 22, 2012.

1. chasmchasr macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have just bought a 16GB 3GS from eBay, which was unlocked by jailbreaking. When I got it, it was running on 3.1.3. I have since upgraded it officially through iTunes to 5.1.1 with a BB of 05.16.05. Unfortunately, from some research, I now believe that this combination cannot be unlocked, but only jailbroken. (I've used redsn0w). As it is essentially an iPod Touch at the moment, can I go back to 3.1.3? Also, I am a bit scared about changing the baseband as I understand that it can damage your phone forever. I do want to officially network unlock it, but I don't know which network it is unlocked to. I have ordered loads of free sims to test it out, but they are not here yet!

So, can someone please help? As I said, I want to network unlock soon and I don't want to jailbreak once this is done. Jailbreaking to unlock is only a temporary measure at the moment really!

2. waynef89 macrumors member

What you can do is upgrade bb to 6.15 just downgrade it with the newest red snow then obv unlock using ultras now and fixer then once you get your free sims you just restore it using iTunes back to 5. And you original bb then test out the ones it works on see which one activates it then it will be unjailbroken

Maybe someone else has a different idea