iPhone 3GS - Update error 3194

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by daniel000, Mar 30, 2012.

1. daniel000 macrumors member

Hi guys

I received a locked iPhone 3GS A1303 off a friend of mine who is no longer using the phone as he has updated his plan.

Now, to unlock the iPhone, the baseband that is on the phone, it is not covered for the unlock tutorial I found unless I update the baseband to the iPad baseband which is something I do not want to do as you lose the GPS on the phone.

So the next step I wanted to do was to update the phone to iOS 5.01 ( so I can still jailbreak ) but after putting it in to both normal and DFU mode and after updating iTunes, I still get the error 3194.

So I'm kinda confused as to what to do next.

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

did you change your host files to point to apple instead of cydia?

Open tinyumbrella, go to advanced tab and uncheck set host to cydia, close TU and try again putting it in DFU and restoring to with ALT-restore(mac) or SHIFT-restore (WIN)

3. daniel000 thread starter macrumors member

I'm not too sure why the host file should be pointed to cydia, as I have not jailbroken it. Therefore the host file should be fine and is.

Also, I have done the TU steps with no luck as well as editing the host file and changing the ip address that was currently listed to

74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

4. daniel000 thread starter macrumors member

Just some more info,

Its got version 4.3.3 installed with a baseband of 05.16.02

Im trying to update it to iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.

5. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

You can't update to that iOS version unless you have saved the shsh for iOS 5.0.1. Use tinyumbrella to check for shshs. And use google or forum search to learn what shsh is.

6. daniel000 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, when searching around for shsh information and what to do with it, I seem to be seeing a lot of jailbreak information. The phone that I'm trying to unlock and upgrade is not jailbroken at all.

Also, with this 3GS is it possible to unlock?

7. daniel000 thread starter macrumors member

Ok so I have opened up TU to save all the SHSH but I get error messages

APPLE is NOT signing iPhone3GS 5.0.1 (9A405) SHSH requests anymore. All you can do now is select CYDIA and hope that CYDIA has your SHSH saved. If not, there is nothing you can do.

So now, I'm not too sure what to do, is the next process jailbreaking the iPhone iPhone 3GS - 4.3.3 to use cydia to save the SHSH ?

----------

What I really should be asking right now is that

The baseband on the phone 05.16.02 can that be unlocked from the carrier ?
    If I upgrade to 5.1 will that have any impact on unlocking ?