Iphone 3GS Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by atrljoe, Jun 11, 2009.

1. atrljoe macrumors member

So I have a Iphone 3G presently I am not able to get the upgrade pricing until 12/29/2009. So my question do you think I should wait for the special upgrade pricing sell my phone on ebay. Or wait until December buy it then buy the Iphone3GS and then sell it? My only concern is do you think that I will get significantly less money for my phone in December. Also The phone was replaced at the apple store so it has the latest bootloader so it cant be unlocked yet which may be cause to wait for it cause they may have an unlock by then and get a little more out of it. What do you guys think

Thanks

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Personally, I'd wait until my contract was finished in 2010 and then upgrade to the newest available iPhone at that time.

3. mpsruo macrumors member

I'd do 1 of 2 things:

1) Sell on ebay / craigslist as jailbroken and unlockable. Not UNLOCKED. Although your baseband might be 2.30.00 and not unlockable through cydia, using a rebel sim will take care of that problem. For a lot of buyers, the baseband isn't an issue. I just sold my 2.28.00 baseband 3g for $399 ebay and my roomates 2.30.00 on craigslist for $350

2) Wait until iPhone 3.0 OS jailbreak update and yellowsn0w updates their unlocker for 3.0 and the 2.30.00 baseband. Then sell, get new phone.

If i hadn't had the option of the $199 subsidized price for the 3GS, I would have had to pay the $399.99 for the 16gb. Regardless, this would still be a free upgrade for me and making a decision based on the fact that newer technology loses value less. Even if I had been charged the $400, it would have been an equal value exchange (minus tax, yeah whatever) and I get a new phone. Next year, when there's probably a new model, sell the 3GS jailbroken and unlocked for the value of a new model. Rinse, repeat. I've done this since iPhone 2G and have not paid for a phone since. In fact, by selling my 3G for $400, I made $200 yesterday by getting the 3GS.