iPhone 3gs - Upgrade to iPhone 5 within $300 budget

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Beliblis, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Beliblis macrumors regular

Hi,

My old (if not "retro old" ;) iPhone 3GS is getting too slow for my needs and I want to upgrade to an iPhone 5. Budget is around £200 (UK), and I've found an interesting offer on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-iPh...ocked-Smartphone-GRADE-A-BOXED-/321409684807?

Seller seems genuine, with UK VAT number, warranty, etc... The only thing I'm wondering about is that I'll be getting a "GENERIC Synchronising/charging USB cable", so not original Apple.

Could that be a potential pitfall? I mean are original Apple cables any better or more reliable than genuine ones?

I'm not too familiar with the ins & outs of the iPhone world. (After all, I'm still using a 3gs...), so would really appreciate opinions.

Thank you!

2. aicul macrumors 6502a

Frankly the iPhone5 is not such a great phone.

And for that type of budget, I would expect a contract-sponsored iPhone6 should fit in.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're worried about the charger, then head on over to your local apple store and pick up a genuine one. I think the concerns are valid given the reported issues with counterfeits. I can't answer whether the iPhone 5 is a good deal or not, but at least you can rectify the charger part yourself.

----------

I don't think there's too many subsidized phones in the UK and Europe - that's mostly a US phenomenon AFAIK Of those that are contract the monthly cost is much higher.

4. aicul macrumors 6502a

[/COLOR]

I don't think there's too many subsidized phones in the UK and Europe - that's mostly a US phenomenon AFAIK Of those that are contract the monthly cost is much higher.[/QUOTE]

Maflynn, can you indicate where you are ?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Boston Mass :)

6. Beliblis thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your answers!

I just browsed some US prices for a 5c and boy are they cheap compared to the UK. I have a good friend here in the UK who's got family in the US – so might try to get one shipped to them so they can bring it over.

Not sure about customs, but since it'll be a used phone anyway I guess they could claim it's their own one. Or maybe it's OK anyway for used phones.

7. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502

Mac-lover3

yeah those fake cables are mostly not of superior quality but they are usable! I use one just for charging in the car an have a second (from Apple) at home. And do it the 5 series are good they can easily handle iOS 8 and supports iOS 9 probably. it has 3G & 4G for fast connection and god it looks stunning certainly without a case. I get around 6 - 7 hours out of the battery (still great for a 2-3 year 'old' phone

8. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

The 5c sells for $450 off contract from apple here in the states, so you should be able to find a pretty good deal on one.

Check out swappa if you are going to buy something in the US. A Verizon 5s or 5c will be factory unlocked so it will work in the UK. You may be able to get a 5s in your budget, the current average selling price is $318, and there is one available for $309.

while the 5 and 5c are still great phones, I'd recommend a 5s if you can find the right deal.

Edit: It also looks like swappa has a UK section though I'm not sure how much higher prices are.

9. Beliblis thread starter macrumors regular

Great info – Thanks very much! Didn't know Verizon always comes unlocked – good to know!