iPhone 3GS Upgrade turned into a Disaster...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Usako, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Usako macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded my 8gb iphone 3G to the 32gb iphone 3GS. I was really excited about the upgrade. But shortly after opening the new 3GS and interacting with it, I realized there were a few problems with the phone...

1. Something inside the 3GS rattles when you shake it up and down. I tried holding down each button and all the buttons and then shaking the phone again, but it still rattles...so I concluded that the noise was not caused by loose buttons. My 3G made a noise when I shook it but it was because the silent button on the side was loose. When held down, my 3G didn't rattle.

2. The vibrate function is weak sauce...compared to my 3G, it's so weak that when I have my phone in my bag I can't even feel the vibrate. I could see myself missing messages and calls because of this.

3. The connection dock is misaligned...on one side, the metal piece that makes the contact with the charger looks like it can possibly break off and fall out with use, and obviously I'm going to need to use it to charge my phone every single day...:(

My question is...is the iphone 3GS suppose to be like this? A lot crappier than the previous 3G? I bought this phone at a Rogers Store, and when I took it back to the store, they won't exchange it for me...and now I'm stuck with a busted up...and can I say defective? iphone 3GS. This blows!

Is there anything I can do to get my phone replaced?

2. muttonhead411 macrumors member

1. the thing that rattles is the autofocus mechanism in the new camera.

2. yes the vibrate has always been weak, especially if you keep it in a gel/rubber /silicon casing.

3. sometimes new ports feel abit out of place when you first plug it in (or the first 2-3 weeks) hopefully it'll get looser and fit easily. Just like new usb slots on computers...

if you feel strongly about it, you can possibly exchange for a new one (esp if its within 14 days of your purchase) at an apple service center by claiming that there is something rattling in your phone. I've seen people on this forum get a new phone from that. :)