iPhone 3GS user needs iPhone 4 user help registering find my iPhone account

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by salilsundresh, Nov 28, 2010.

1. salilsundresh macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 3GS so I can't register an Apple ID on my iPhone to allow for the free find my iPhone feature on iOS 4.2. I went to the Apple store and none of their devices had the button show up that would allow me to register an account. I don't know why. It's really easy to do, only takes a minute, here's the instructions:
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/find-my-iphone-setup/
    preferably a user like: salil123
    or different numbers like that if that isn't available.
    Just e-mail me the user/pass if you decide to help me out.

I would really appreciate anyone's help. I am a freelance director of photography in Chicago, IL so if you need any advice relating to cinematography, motion picture camera information, 3D technology, etc I would be happy to help you out in any way.

2. Malsi macrumors regular

I don't think there is a free option for you. From what i undersand, the free Find my iPhone is only for the newer generation of idevices. In this case it's only for the iPhone 4 and the newer iPod touch. All the others idevices need to pay.

3. salilsundresh thread starter macrumors 6502

I believe you are mistaken:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/find-my-iphone-setup/

"Create a free Find My iPhone account on any iPhone 4, iPad, or iPod touch (4th generation) running iOS 4.2. Once you create an account on a qualifying device, use your Apple ID and password to enable Find My iPhone on your other devices running iOS 4.2."

Also, it's been proven this works on iPhone 3GS:
    http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/11/how-to-use-find-my-iphone-for-free-on-iphone-3gs-older-devices/

4. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Just do it on a demo unit in a phone/apple store.

5. salilsundresh thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, I couldn't get that to work. It doesn't provide an option for registering an account.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If you need someone to register you, wouldn't you need to give them your Apple ID and password?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.

8. salilsundresh thread starter macrumors 6502

No, they would be registering a new Apple ID and therefore wouldn't need my current Apple ID information.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh I see. And then u can tie in the new apple id registered with your current devices?

10. Anglican-Mac macrumors member

FWIW, I have an iPhone 3G and Find my iPhone works on my phone...

11. salilsundresh thread starter macrumors 6502

I would use the user id/password of the new apple id created on the iphone 4 on the iphone 3gs.