iPhone 3GS v Palm Pre?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hookem12387, Jun 8, 2009.

1. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

I'm going to switch to one in the coming weeks. I'm thinking 3GS, but I'm just sort of bored of the iPhone in general. I've had one since 2G and a change is always fun. What are yall thinking?

2. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Why are you asking us to make financial decisions for you?

3. Dmich116 macrumors member

I surely won't be going to Sprint just because of the Pre, but once it goes GSM, then I may think about it.

4. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

You can even get a 99 dollar iphone which is better than the Palm Pre.

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

6. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

If I were you I would get the most expensive iphone, unlocked if possible, with unlimited everything. roadside assistance, phone insurance and all of the possible goodies (including laptop connect and tethering!), also buy a bunch of accessories.

It will run you over 200$ a month, but it will be so worth it bro.

But then again, this is just what I would do with your money, so you might not want to go this route.

7. hookem12387 thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, I should have known no one would have an opinion on which they thought was better for a given reason.

8. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

Did you miss the gigantic thread on that very topic? Or the 5 before that one?

9. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

I just prefer the iPhone. . . Period. Besides the Pre isn't GSM so they lost me at Sprint

10. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Nobody can really say, most of us would be speaking purely based on the specs we've read.

I'd say look at what you need the phone to do. And decide which one does it better. After watching the 3GS demo, I personally think it negated all but a few features of the Pre, and those are features that I don't care about.

I'd wait a month and see what people are saying if you can't decide on your own.

11. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

yea with the iPhone 3G now $99 it's really a great time to snatch one up... It depends on what you want to do more with the phone, I've heard great things about the Palm Pre as well.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yeah, because he'd sure miss the GSM buzz and dropped calls.

The Sprint price just can't be beat. $70 for 450 mins, unlimited data, navigation app, TV app, unlimited text? I'm surprised that all the parents who fund iPhones haven't made their kids switch to Pre's :)

As everyone points out, it all depends on your location and what you want.

13. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

Hey the GSM Buzz has its benefits. I know my phone is about to ring seconds before it actually starts ringing!

14. Dmich116 macrumors member

can you use the Pre on any other network around the world?

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Sure, Canada and Mexico :)

Why, do you travel around the world a lot? If so, why in the world would you use an iPhone which is locked to a local carrier, and is unable to use local SIMs like every other GSM phone on the planet?

It's cheaper to get an extra throwaway GSM dumbphone when traveling.

16. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

Yeah, the global thing shouldn't really be a lauded feature for most people.

I mean really, look at what the phones do. Whichever one does what you want it to do the best is the phone you should pick.

17. hookem12387 thread starter macrumors 6502

IF there was one since the GS was actually announced then yes, I did and I will humbly apologize for mucking up the board with a single extra thread

18. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Unless he lives outside of 3G he'll never hear that GSM buzz. I haven't heard it since I switched to the 3G, nor have I dropped any calls - which I can't say for Sprint which I use as my work phone and consistently drop calls where I work in the Del Cerro and San Carlos areas of San Diego.