iPhone 3Gs vibration motor

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by millertime021, Jun 25, 2010.

1. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

So I know that title won't get as much attention as "Weak/Broken Vibrator" but whatever.

So I have a 3Gs (arrived 6.30.09) so my warranty is almost up. I got a replacement for a battery in mid-July so my warranty may last until then but that's irrelevant.

Anyway, the vibration motor in my 3Gs has gotten weaker recently and also clicks while shaking. Would this be covered under warranty?

And I tried to make this not sound dirty. ;)

2. millertime021 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Anyone?
    I know it's not an iPhone 4 issue but has anyone had this replaced?

3. Gaboose macrumors newbie

Easy fix for vibration motor

I dropped my 3Gs a little while ago and it caused the vibration to stop working. The fix was fairly simple, requiring just a tiny screwdriver and a suction cup. I did the following (no more than five minutes):

1) powered down and took the screen off (left the connectors from the screen connected to the MB)
    2) removed the two little screws holding the vibration motor and pulled it out gently (a little metal barrel on the right-hand side of the phone)
    3) bent its two copper connector leads back up to improve their contact with the MB (they're thin, and they had been bent down away from the MB by the shock of many, many drops and jostles over time)
    4) pushed the vibration motor back into place
    5) put the two little screws back in to hold the motor in
    6) turned on the phone and tested the mute switch (success!)
    7) closed it all up again

I know it sounds complicated and technical if you've never done something like this, but it was easy... truly. For simple instructions on step one, just google "iphone battery replacement video"