iPhone 3GS Video function disabled during calls

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by michaelwithe21, Oct 4, 2009.

1. michaelwithe21 macrumors member

michaelwithe21

So i was on my iphone w/my gf, sending pics and videos i had saved on my iphone 3.1 with my newly updated carrier file (enables MMS)...

And I could take a picture and send it to her... BUT!!! when I was in the "camera" app, i noticed my little camera to video button/option was gone!!!

I thought maybe I had disabled it somewhere in the mix of jailbreaking it recently after the new pwnage tool... but i thought... wait... "baby, lemme call you back"... and sure enough, as soon as i hung up, i opened the camera.app, and bam! my video feature/option was back in the corner working again...

so this made me think... was this something disabled because of cpu? or maybe it uses the microphone and it didnt want to conflict? or maybe the whole invasion of privacy thing... (ie, i could record audio through video while talking on phone)... then i thought, maybe its because apple/att was in fear of some hack/app that could enable video chatting... but i ended up thinking it had everything to do with the mic...

so then i tested the "voice memos" app while in the middle of a call, and sure enough, it said please end call before recording or something like that...

So, my question/thing is to find out why in the hell I cannot record a video while on the phone!? Microphone conflicts? Is it due to privacy? CPU? Video chat fear? what are your thoughts?? i did a few googles without any luck

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

3. suss2it macrumors regular

Because the video camera needs the mic to record sound.

4. Appdict macrumors regular

Much like Photo Booth, the microphone on the iPhone cannot be used if something else is using it.

Example: I'm video chatting over iChat, and I then open Photo Booth. The camera won't be used until I quit all applications using the iSight.