Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cretony38

macrumors member
IT Dept replaces BB w/3GS

A friend of mine is the IT Director at a Law School.Where they have stacks of BlackBerrys all turned in for iPhones. They're giving them away, nobody wants them. The iPhone dominates at least at this law school.

there are 100's of apps about Laws.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Day 2 Update:

Now I'm used to having The Weather Channel MAX application on my iPhone which gives me update to date live inmotion radar right away. I had no idea what to do on my blackberry so I went to weather.com which loaded up nicely and searched for the city. It was kind of a hassle because I couldn't figure out how to get radar in motion or any of that. The blackberry worked for updating me on what was happening but it wasn't on par like my iPhone is. Anyways, just another everyday situation that I thought I should add to this post.

Have you downloaded blackberry app world (aka blackberry's iphone app store) to your Blackberry Bold? Their you can find the weather channel mobile app for free! :)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
A friend of mine is the IT Director at a Law School.Where they have stacks of BlackBerrys all turned in for iPhones. They're giving them away, nobody wants them. The iPhone dominates at least at this law school.

Huh? It's not like law schools give out smartphones to students (or, in my experience, faculty). So why would people be turning anything in to the IT dept? :confused:

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Oh I see what you're asking. Sorry about that. No, each message has it's own window. The only time when the messages are threaded are in blackberry messenger, unless someone corrects me.

No, text messages are threaded on my Bold. You can see up to the last 50 text messages between you and the other texter (the default is 7 on the Bold).

lavinci

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
No, text messages are threaded on my Bold. You can see up to the last 50 text messages between you and the other texter (the default is 7 on the Bold).

Really? I've never seen that function when I open up the SMS icon. Do you need to do a button press or does it show like that? I remember when I had my bold, it was threaded, but didn't separate by number/contact individually.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Really? I've never seen that function when I open up the SMS icon. Do you need to do a button press or does it show like that? I remember when I had my bold, it was threaded, but didn't separate by number/contact individually.

When I open a text message (for example, from my sister), it will show the last 7 (by default, this can be changed to up to 50) messages between the two of us, back and forth. When I open the SMS icon it does list every individual text, but if I click a specific message I can see the last 7 messages leading up to it in a threaded format.

Each individual message is still in the SMS inbox though. It's not until you open the message that you can see the threading.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Thanks to this thread I've made my mind up! Ignore any thread that says iPhone 3GS v. Black n' BlueBerry and stick with my 3GS 32GB iPhone. I just feel like dry-heaving after reading through this worthless thread; on an iPhone Forum at that.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
The bold does support 3G. I even think the

new 8900/tour/curve or whatever it's called supports 3G now too.

there are so many I get them mixed up

I know someone who just got a 8900 and he said next year he's getting a iPhone.

Tour looks nice but unless you're a business user and need the security the iPhone kills it in features.

I also have a 3g sprint curve and the only good thing is that they have better frequencies so I can listen to slacker from inside a converted factory building

lavinci

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
When I open a text message (for example, from my sister), it will show the last 7 (by default, this can be changed to up to 50) messages between the two of us, back and forth. When I open the SMS icon it does list every individual text, but if I click a specific message I can see the last 7 messages leading up to it in a threaded format.

Each individual message is still in the SMS inbox though. It's not until you open the message that you can see the threading.

Oh yes yes, I know what you're talking about now. I thought it showed up like that in the general sms folder.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Thanks to this thread I've made my mind up! Ignore any thread that says iPhone 3GS v. Black n' BlueBerry and stick with my 3GS 32GB iPhone. I just feel like dry-heaving after reading through this worthless thread; on an iPhone Forum at that.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

How do you REALLY feel about it

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
So how is that running circles around MM? MM emails also show up in a couple of seconds.

How can I put this - mail management with the iPhone is like a Kia, and on the BB is like a Porsche. Don't get me wrong, I love the iPhone, but we need to give the devil his due.

BIS lets you configure multiple accounts and the BB consolidates them into a single box. You can use filters, you can customize the views and notifications 1000 different ways, and the battery lasts forever regardless of how many emails you get. BB has perfected email push to the point it is very efficient and reliable. I would not trust my business email to MobileMe.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

:) Well, I rather enjoy a civil discussion about pros and cons and opinions, and seeing a lot of respect for a competing product. The BB has some definite strengths over the iPhone, but those vary depending on your perspective and your needs. I find it interesting to read from folks that have had both and can opine based on first hand knowledge.

Oh yeah, IPHONE RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
This past week, I had the opportunity to trade my old iPhone 3G for a brand new Blackberry 9000, better known as the Blackberry Bold..................................

Take a look at THIS op, maybe it will make you feel better:D

I dont really agree with how the menus and setups are very difficult on BBs. I thought is was a piece of cake the very first day i had one. I guess the setup just seemed match how i subconsciously think it should be(or something like that), but compared to the idiot proof iPhone, yah, its much harder. Btw, much love for the way the iphone works, i have an ipod touch and love it. But i like the keyboard and all that other BB goodness.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
How can I put this - mail management with the iPhone is like a Kia, and on the BB is like a Porsche. Don't get me wrong, I love the iPhone, but we need to give the devil his due.

BIS lets you configure multiple accounts and the BB consolidates them into a single box. You can use filters, you can customize the views and notifications 1000 different ways, and the battery lasts forever regardless of how many emails you get. BB has perfected email push to the point it is very efficient and reliable. I would not trust my business email to MobileMe.

iPhone supports MS Exchange out of the box. very easy to set up and you see all your folders if you made folders and mailbox rules. I like BB's mail view but it gets annoying very fast if you work in IT and get hundreds of system generated emails every day most of which are BS and Exchange is limited in how many rules you can create

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
iPhone supports MS Exchange out of the box. very easy to set up and you see all your folders if you made folders and mailbox rules. I like BB's mail view but it gets annoying very fast if you work in IT and get hundreds of system generated emails every day most of which are BS and Exchange is limited in how many rules you can create

You can create filters right on the BB to prevent/allow emails to be sent to it from the sever. The filters can be based on From, To, Subject, body text, whether they are sent directly to you, CCed to you, BCCed to you, importance, and/or sensitivity.

I will let someone with Exchange turned on their iPhone to chime in and share what they can do on the iPhone to filter unwanted messages.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC

That's all nice. Then when all those students graduate they'll be getting a BlackBerry :p Most companies still don't use iPhones, BB still dominate the corporate world.

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
Well i have the Blackberry storm and the iphone 3GS and from my experience these are the pros and cons:

blackberry (Telus)

pros:

battery. last long, and i have a spare. i can be away from charger for a 12 hour plus day and never worry about it.

great screen.

removable sd card

instant email messages multiple accounts,multiple email accounts without issue. sms messages also come to one set folder of messages. very handy.

secure server for emails and such.

IPHONE

PROS:

BATTERY IS MEDICORE BUT NOT AS BAD AS SOME CLAIM. IM SURE HEY COULD MAKE A BETTER ONE, OR A REPLACEABLE ONE;

GREAT APPS. MANY USEFULL ONE.

SURFING IS GREAT Fairly fast.

lots of memory

CONS

no instant push
no msn messenger without third party
cant orgavide

lavinci

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
I feel so bad. I have given up my iPhone for a Blackberry 8900 because I needed the push email and battery life.

My pros on Blackberry are its battery and the little blinking led for notifications.

I did not want to leave the iPhone world, but it had to be done with my battery life usage.

At least I still have my MBP though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.