iPhone 3GS vs. Hertz NeverLost

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael73, May 13, 2010.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

Three weeks from Saturday I leave for the UK on an 8-day business trip. While there I'll be renting a car and doing a substantial amount of driving: London to Exeter, Exeter to Liverpool, Liverpool to Hull, Hull to London.

I'll be renting a car from Hertz which offers their NeverLost turn-by-turn voice guided GPS for an additional $98 for the week I'm there. However, I'll have my iPhone 3GS with me and be activating the Int'l Voice and Data packages.

So what does everyone think...spend the $98 for the NeverLost or just go with the iPhone?

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

Since it's a business trip...spend the extra money and go with the Hertz option. It will be already mounted securely in the car rather than you having to devise some way of using your iPhone safely in a car while driving on a different side of the road in an unfamiliar country (I am assuming you are not from the UK).

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

4. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

A little off topic but have you driven there before? It's hard to get used to driving on the "wrong" side

5. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I've driven there before. I did some of my undergrad there and one of my master's degrees there. All told, told I was there from '93-'96 but haven't been back since. The issue is that for the places I'm going, the train is MUCH MORE expensive than renting a car, even figuring gas. Secondly, the whole training thing is rather impractical with the several pieces of luggage I'll have with me.

The CoPilot Live is a good idea. I mean in the most simple way, the built-in google maps gets the job done but I really want voice guided directions.

Even though I've driven in the UK before, it's been 14 years so it probably isn't a good idea to get too distracted by trying to look at my iPhone while using a right-hand drive car.

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I have copilot and it does speak "in xyz yards turn right" "just ahead turn left" without the addon text to speech.... not having text to speech myself I don't know what it does but I believe it adds more speech whilst driving to save u looking.

off the copilot website:

7. mstrze macrumors 68000

Cost shouldn't be a deciding factor really, since this is a business trip and the expense can be 'written-off'.

The ability to keep you eyes and senses attuned to the road is paramount, and without additional mounting and the assurance of turn-by-turn audible instructions from an App, I still feel the OP is much better going with the Hertz 'built-in' option.

Especially since said road has people driving wildly different than they do in your home country (left vs. right side...roundabouts...etc.)