iPhone 3gs w/iPad BB upgrading from 4.2.1 to 5.0.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by vandersmissenc, May 16, 2012.

1. vandersmissenc, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

vandersmissenc macrumors newbie

Hey, so I may just be doing this wrong but I have tried everything I have been able to find so far.

From what I have read it appears that the 3gs does have untethered jailbreak available on 5.0.1

I have SHSH blobs from 4.1 and 4.2.1

I have already jailbroken and unlocked the iPhone on 4.2.1 using the iPad BB

I am trying to update to 5.0.1 (I downloaded the IPSW and have tried making it with redsn0w and pwnage tool and neither will restore with iTunes.)

When I try to do the restore in pwned dfu mode it gives an error stating "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible"

More information takes me to http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Is there a different process to do this and I am doing something wrong ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also if it would be better to go to 5.1 or something with an untethered jailbreak I am all for that. I just think that I am doing something wrong since I can't get it to restore.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You need blobs for 5.0.1
    Then stitch those blobs to a custom ipsw with redsnow.
    If you dont have those blobs you can never restore to that version.

3. vandersmissenc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks,

I see that 5.1.1 has untethered jailbreak and unlock available for the old bootrom, which is what I have.

http://www.redsn0wjailbreak.org/jai...eak-on-iphone-3gs-with-redsn0w-0-9-10b8b.html

Besides that am I doing the process correctly ? When I try through iTunes I still get the firmware message.

If I instead try exactly as the article states I get a USB Communication error on redsn0w. I'm going to try another computer.

Thanks Again! Any further help is appreciated

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh I see.
    Yes, if you're on the old bootrom your 3GS is untethered JB forever.
    Try another computer if yours is giving you issues.

5. vandersmissenc thread starter macrumors newbie

Clarify Please

Can you clarify this for me please, I am currently on 4.2.1. I have created a custom IPSW with no baseband update as I am on 06.15.00 (iPad bb).

The next step is to restore it in iTunes correct ? Once restored then I go back to redsn0w and jailbreak and install cydia.

When I try to restore it in iTunes it says "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible"

Any ideas where I am going wrong ?

----------

Im a fricking moron, ignore me, I will update this when I succeed.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You need to create a custom 5.1.1 ipsw with the latest version of redsnow from here: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=16424
    Then once you created the 5.1.1 ipsw, put your iphone in pwned DFU using redsnow and restore to that custom no bb ipsw.
    Then JB with redsnow to install cydia and install ultrasnow to unlock etc...

7. twells40 macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem. Same iphone 3gs running 4.2.1 with BB 6.15.00. Cannot update to 5.0.1. Either get the message the firmware is not compatible or if I use redsnow I get usb communication error. I bought this iphone in the current condition and ios. I have an ipod touch and ipad jailbroken and up to date so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong with this iPhone 3gs.

One more note. I have tried this on Mac and PC. Same results.

Please any help would be appreciated. Want to update it before I install my new tmobile sim card to activate.

8. vandersmissenc thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you positive you have a 3GS and not a 3G? I was being a moron and I knew I had a 3G(it was my wifes phone from before we were married) but for some reason I thought it was a 3GS which is why the firmware was incompatible. In this case you can only attain 4.2.1 jail broken but it also is able to be carrier unlocked. I confirmed that with a prepaid sim. If you had the same situation as me, double check that. If not then you might wanna start a new thread.

9. twells40 macrumors newbie

I just double-checked and it looks like your right. Bought his off an auction and it stated it was a 3GS phone. Doesn't look like it. Thanks for the help. Contact the seller. SMH

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

A friend of mine fell for it last week on an ebay auction too.
    Thought he was getting a 16GB white 3GS but end up getting an iphone 3G instead.

11. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Wow, that is some foul ****.. Ebay is such a cesspool..

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's very bad. The seller told him to send it back and he will mail him the correct model a white 16GB 3GS.
    Well this time he received like a 10 year old Nokia CDMA flip phone and he's not responding to emails now.
    Sucks.

13. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Omg..that's horrible. What is wrong with people nowadays??

14. twells40 macrumors newbie

Wow that really sucks. I contacted the seller about my iphone 3G and he said he didn't know the item description said 3GS. Um, your the one selling this. LOL Mailed it back to him today for a refund.

Also bought a white iphone 3GS 32gb from a more reputable ebay seller today. At least he has all pics of the phone including the About info. Running 5.16.05 BB with 5.1 ios. Shouldn't have any issues with this one. Will have it next week.