iPhone 3GS - Weak Vibrate

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bettermann09, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Bettermann09 macrumors member

I have owned the iPhone 3G from launch date until the 3GS was released. On my iPhone 3G I did a lot of texting and the vibrate never seemed to wear down on it. It started out strong and is still strong to this day. With my iPhone 3GS its a different story. The vibrate is very weak and this worries me because I don't think I will be able to feel it in my pocket. I'm wondering if any other iPhone owners are experiencing this. I'm hoping that it is a problem with OS 3.0 and not the new hardware.

Let me know what you think!

2. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Ummm... the vibrate on mine is awesome. Way more powerful than my first gen iPhone. Can't compare it to the 3G though.

3. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

It's a hardware problem, not a software problem. But yes, mine is WAY weaker than all the other iPhones I've owned. I'm debating swapping mine for a black one, so we'll see if that one is weak too.

To make matters worse, the silent/ring switch is so freaking stiff.

4. gsxr370 macrumors member

i had the same problem when I got my 3g. I took it to the apple store 2 days later and they gave me a brand new phone. They didnt have refurbished phones that early so it was brand new.

5. gzillaration macrumors member

yea same here gotta wear in the button a little i guess lol.

and vibrate is weak as hell, but at least the speaker is way louder then id need.. also bluetooth is way quieter then my 2g iphone

6. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

I was very happy to see the stiff switch. I've had some very close calls with an embarrassing moment wit my old one because of the switch switching itself. I've also missed a lot of calls because of it switching itself to silent (I keep mine off vibrate on silent during the school year because they're completely anal about it at my school, and some teachers can hear the vibrate, believe it or not).

7. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I noticed on my 3GS it's much weaker also. My 3G was pretty good and I never missed a vibe but I'm not to sure with the new 3GS. I could see myself missing a call or something. Anyway I did notice the same thing as you.

The phone is perfect tho and is running great. I love it.

8. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

Can't compare it to 3G, because I converted from a motorola flip phone. If that was in my pocket, there was no way I'd feel it vibrate.

But my 3GS gives me no problems at all.

Then again, I'm not looking for violent vibration--just enough so I can feel it.

9. Bettermann09 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for all the input. I'm going to the apple store tomorrow with a friend to look at computers. I will look at some of the display models and ask some questions to see if this problem is common. I'll post as soon as I find out.

10. Mr. Brown macrumors member

11. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

How close are you holding it? :D