iphone 3gs White screen of Death after backing replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by docdowney, Aug 10, 2011.

1. docdowney macrumors newbie

hello all,
    I have read about every thread about the WSoD and tried everything but haven't been able to fix my problem. I think the solution would be to replace the lcd but I want to know your opinion.
    Problem:
    -put a new complete back housing on my iphone 3gs because gps was not working and wifi antena was weak.
    -as when I went to insert the SIM card with the phone on and plugged in, the screen went white with multiple colored stripes.
    -from then on I only get a white screen - have tried everything! (hard reset, etc.)
    -doesn't appear on itunes.
    -when I switch on the vibrator but, it does vibrate.
    -if lock button is pressed the screen turns white.
    -if home button is pressed white screen appears. if after that the lock button is pressed, you can hear it lock.

PLEASE HELP.

BTW - if nothing works, would you get an iphone 4 or bite the bullet and wait till iphone 5 comes out?

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I would try to take it apart again and see if you accidentally frayed a wire or two somewhere. If the sires appear solid look at the connectors and see if all of the pins are in place. Other than that try throwing it into DFU and see if iTunes recognizes that it's plugged in and needs to be restored.

3. docdowney thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think I can put it into DFU mode as it is now?
    Why can't it be the LCD?

4. MacPlugin macrumors newbie

I have had people come to my work with the same problem.. Sometimes it's as easy of a fix as one of the ribbons is not plugged in all the way to the phone's logic board which can cause a white screen. The connector could be damaged. There could be corrosion, or you may just need a new LCD..

5. docdowney thread starter macrumors newbie

Then it's not the logic board?
    Checked all the connections and all seem OK. The phone has NEVER gotten wet .
    Then I can go out and buy a new LCD?

6. MacPlugin macrumors newbie

I would reccomend taking it to a repair center and having it done. Many places can replace the LCD for $50 or less

7. docdowney thread starter macrumors newbie

Replaced the LCD screen - still WOSD. What now?

8. MacPlugin macrumors newbie

9. docdowney thread starter macrumors newbie

Did that. I am the proud owner of a white iphone 4.

Thank you all for your help.

10. iambookat macrumors newbie

White screen of death

Hi,

I am new here and have also had the white screen of death.

Here is my story...

Last week I dropped my iphone.

It slipped out of my pocket while I was sitting on the couch.

I have dropped my phone before, but it is (or I should say was) in pretty good condition. You wouldn't know that it had been dropped, let's put it that way, no scratches no dents or cracks.

My phone fell approx 10 inches.

Right away I knew something was wrong, there was a popping type sound. I picked up my phone and tried to turn it on. The screen was white. I tried to turn it off but couldn't. So I force quit it. I then couldn't get it to turn back on. I was so mad at myself, but mostly just really really sad.

I scoured the internet for answers and came up with a few, button fixes this and that.

I took my phone apart, I mean I took off the digitizer and LCD, I also took out the logic board. I then put it all back together. Guess what? it worked! It came back on it synced with my mac and it all seemed good. The battery had been completely drained, even though when it fell it was just over 90% charged. I kept it plugged into the computer and it charged up to 100%, I then unplugged it, used it and all was good, everything seemed to work fine, I could make calls, receive calls, texts pictures, videos etc.

My next test, turning the handset off then back on.

It failed that test. I then kicked myself, why turn it off I had it working!

I tried what I had just done and again took the phone apart and put it back together. No good, all I had was a white screen.

I tried to clean the connectors. No good just a white screen.

I tried my daughters LCD. No good, her LCD went white, I by now was bricking it thinking I'd now messed up 2 iphones, when I put her LCD back in her phone it worked! I was so happy.

It didn't stop me putting my screen in hers though. No good, all I got was a white screen. I then put her screen back in. Her screen was now white as well!! That however was fixed with a reset (home and sleep combo). So I hadn't screwed her phone as well.

Well I ordered a new screen on the off chance. No good just a white screen UNTIL I did a reset with the new screen in place. Home and sleep combo, guess what? It is now working!!!

So I am assuming after changing the LCD for a new one that you still have to do a force quit due to the phone still actually being on when you take the front off.

I can't guarantee that this fix will work for everyone, but it did work for me. So try it it just might work for you as well.

Good luck

Kathy