Iphone 3gs... will it work with hand off?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Drew Davis, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Drew Davis macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a 3gs that is running strong, and I have no desire to upgrade until it fails...

That being said I like how with the upcoming Mac operating system I can make phone calls via my mac. Will I be able to use my 3gs or are they forcing people to upgrade to a newer phone to use that feature? If they are any idea when the 6 is coming out?

Thanks!

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I believe that it requires iOS 8. It therefore won't work with a 3GS.

3. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

No. It's an iOS8 feature, iOS 6.1.6 is as high as a 3GS can go.

I'm suspecting the absolute minimum that will work correctly with handoff will be the iPhone 5, as the 4S will be feature crippled because of it not meeting the hardware requirements for many of the features.

4. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

4S has bluetooth LE (4.0) and I believe most of the services are sent through carrier data or wifi and the 4S has those too. Unless handoff requires a hardware feature not required (5 GHz wouldn't be a hardware requirement since it can use carrier data).

5. Drew Davis thread starter macrumors newbie

6. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Yes.

7. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I understand that, but the 4S can't do airdrop. Also we know Apple like to feature cripple the lowest end device they support.

8. blesio macrumors regular

Besides it's rather a problem of CPU power. All those new features which run in the background take up the CPU power, the 4S even crippled on iOS 7 seems to struggle a little with the OS. The animations aren't fluid and you can see the overall speed difference when compared to the iPhone 5 or later. That's why the 4s doesn't have all the same features, if it had them the user experience would be even worse. Or that's what apple wants us to think at least :)

9. RoboWarriorSr, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014

RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

AirDrop uses 5 GHz wifi which the 4s doesn't have...

----------

My 4s after, iOS 7.1.1, is pretty smooth. I have noticed a little slowdown compared to a 5 but it isn't noticeable. The main issue I do have with iOS 7 isn't the slowdown, it's the number of crashes I get on heavy applications and games such as comic book readers and games utilizing Unity or Unreal Engine which under iOS 6 were handled extremely well. I wouldn't think adding in Continuity would affect performance, after all iMessage do sync with my Mac and that's a portion of continuity that should work thigh I do see where you're coming from :). Though every time Apple has limited the device there was a hardware excuse. 3D maps were unavailable to 4 due to CPU (single core). Siri unavailable to iPad and iPhone 4 due to missing second mic and different A5 SOC or older A4 (4S supposedly contains another processor, not too similar to the camera, to process human speech). 120 FPS unavailable to 4s and 5 due to CPU. Though that act that the iPod touch got 60 FPS while the 4s didn't does irk me since they are essentially the same. In the the end I hope Apple doesn't just cripple the 4s for the sake of "upgrading".

10. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

There are hardware reasons why the 4S doesn't have airdrop. Bear in mind that may be the same reason why it can't do continuity (or that may their excuse).

11. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I could definitely see that happening.

12. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Won't even work on iPhone 4. It needs to be running iOS 8...:(

----------

Its an excuse. iPad mini does it and its got the same processor. iPad 3rd gen doesn't have the blur effect and can't air drop and it has a better processor then the iPad mini. It all depends on when it was released. Bastards

13. RoboWarriorSr, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014

RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

iPad mini has the new wifi chip with 5GHz channel while the iPad 3 only supports 2.5 GHz channel. I believe blur is disabled due to performance issues, after all the 4 doesn't have blur due to processor.

14. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Oh.

15. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

iPhone 4S is the oldest iPhone to support iOS8, so no, your phone won't support handoff etc. iPhone 6 (if they stick with that naming) will be out sept-oct this year.