IPhone 3GS will not boot after replacing LCD

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by taydec, Jul 21, 2010.

1. taydec macrumors newbie

I replaced my IPhone's LCD screen. When I put it back together I got the black screen with the apple logo. I waited for it to boot but eventually it would display a clocking circle on the apple. After a while it would turn off then on and do the same thing again. I turned it off by holding down the two buttons. Then restarted it and I got the same thing. So I tried doing a restore by holding down the circle button and connecting it to my compute with ITunes 9 to put it in recovery mode. The recovery completed and it told me to leave it connected to the computer and wait as it would shut down and restart the phone. The phone restarted, however it resumed with the same restart sequence as before with the apple logo and clocking. At this point I tried anyway to restore the my phones backup from Itunes 9 onto the phone. It didn't complete as the phone kept restarting and displayed a message saying there was an error. Then my computer froze so I restarted and tried again. To my surprise it started syncing the phone with all my programs and files. However the phone still will not boot up or go past the apple logo screen. Any ideas why this would happen or how to get it to boot?

2. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Sounds like something to do with the battery, or a connectors' popped off, take it apart and double check everything. iFixit.com might be of use!

EDIT: Are you able to take any photos of it?

3. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

Have you tried HARD restarting it? Holding the sleep button and home button together?

4. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

in his OP.

5. IphoneRevivers macrumors member

When replacing an lcd or digitizer , If you have restarted it and it does that . Once thing I have noticed is the number 3 connector ( proximity sensor ) if it is not placed in right or touches the board for some reason it will do that , i've found in most cases that to be the problem . Make sure the tab is pulled up and that connector be put in correctly and then snapped back down ( the tab ) .

6. taydec thread starter macrumors newbie

Resolved

I think IphoneRevivers is right.

I did get this fixed. What finally ended up working was I opened up my phone again and connected my old cracked LCD. It booted up just fine. So I connected my new LCD and it started working to my disbelief.

However admittedly I had problems with the cable 3 connector. So much that a part of it is cracked. The phone is working now but I did notice that my proximity sensor no longer works. I found that that is related to the #3 cable as well. See on some iphones the cable connector #3 tab is white, on others the tab is black. So the instructions I had were to pop up the white tab when mine was black and I tried to move the wrong piece. That's why it broke.

I have found someone to replace the #3 connector for me for a decent price since I will not venture to do it myself because of the expertise it requires. I'll do it as soon as I'm ready to be without my Iphone for a week.