iphone 3gs will not charge or be recognized by macbook

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jpoitras, Jan 19, 2010.

1. jpoitras macrumors newbie

So i'm trying to charge my iphone with my macbook, and not having much luck. It's not even recognizing it, so i'm unable to sync or add songs through itunes. I thought it did briefly yesterday, but can't recall. The iphone is currently almost dead at 3%...does that have something to do with it? I was thinking the macbook would just start charging it and recognize it right away.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

try charging it in the wall, if that works, then i would assume you have a defective usb port on your macbook.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Usually, the iPhone turns off before you get that low, so perhaps you somehow drained it too low and now the USB can not charge it, since it has half the charging capability of the wall charger. You might also need to reboot or try another USB port.

4. jpoitras thread starter macrumors newbie

the weird thing is that I plugged my ipod nano in the same way and it seemed to charge fine and recognize fine..but the iphone still wont do it.

make sense?

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, look through the link I gave you. Possibly something will work.

6. jpoitras thread starter macrumors newbie

am i missing something? i'm not seeing a link...

7. jpoitras thread starter macrumors newbie

does anyone else see a link? There must be an answer to this. youd think it was the usb port, but why would my ipod nano be recognized and charge when it's plugged in?