iPhone 3GS will not charge

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DonWrk, Feb 25, 2011.

1. DonWrk macrumors member

My iPhone was going dead so I plugged it in the car charger and it charged up to about 5% and then stopped charging and went dead. I then tried using 3 different chargers and plugging it into the computer but it will not get any power. I can hold down the buttons and get the screen telling me that it is dead and I need to plug it into a charger but it is plugged into the charger! What could be wrong? Thanks in advance!

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Could be a bad battery, some crud in the dock connector, preventing a good connection, or maybe a connection inside the phone is loose.

3. DonWrk thread starter macrumors member

Would a bad battery just go out like that though? You would think it would still come on when plugged into a power source.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Sure, batteries can go bad in a lot of ways, besides just dying of old age.

5. DonWrk thread starter macrumors member

But how does the battery still power the screen showing a dead battery and needing to plug it in?

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Have you ever seen a battery in a car that would light the dash lights, but wouldn't start the car, and wouldn't charge?

7. DonWrk thread starter macrumors member

Yes, but I have also seen when it is hooked up to a power source it still gets power. So how could I find out what the problem is besides taking it in to somebody else?

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Did you look in the connector for anything that could be causing it?

9. DonWrk thread starter macrumors member

No I've opened the iPhone up and everything looks fine, I don't have a warranty anymore so that's why I don't mind opening it up myself. This sucks.

10. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I'm not talking about inside the phone. Look in the dock connector! It is not unusual, for lint, etc to get inside that connector and prevent a good connection.

11. DonWrk thread starter macrumors member

Yes I know what you mean, of course I've checked that, I'm just saying I went even farther looking inside to see if something was disconnected or such, but it's still the same.