Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
for my iphone it's actually worse. A lot worse than with earlier 2.x versions!! I can't believe it.

Historically on weekends my battery drains VERY slowly since I don't use the iphone much at all (i'm home afterall..). I used to be able to go saturday morning to sunday night without recharging.

Well.. i unplugged my iphone this morning. Had no calls, barely played with it. 3 or 4 sms texts.. and it's almost 20% (hasn't shown the popup yet but I guess it's about to).

What's the deal with this?
So 2.1 "improves significantly battery life for most users" .... " while it ****s up the rest of users????????

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, along with others that are having battery issues. The 2.1 update did wonders for my battery life. I've never had 3G on because it drained my phone in 3-4 hours with mild usage (push email, 1 hour of iPod listening, Safari for 20-30 minutes).

After this update I've had 3G on the entire time, used Safari AND the iPod at the same time for 1.5 hours, and there hasn't been any drop in the battery meter. IF the meter is correct, I'd say my battery life has doubled or tripled.

JPP

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2007
I intalled the 2.1 software and I havent seen any improvement on the battery life. On the 2G iphone i only charge it may once every day and half, this 3G i have to charge it twice a day just not working for me. I laso an adapter for my car stereo and it doesnt charge the 3G but it works fine with the 2G sucks im really thinking about returning this 3G only had it for 3 days.

If you're having to charge your phone twice a day then either you are an inordinately heavy iphone user and should call it the crackphone or you've got a defective unit and should take it back.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.1): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

ItsGavinC said:
for my iphone it's actually worse. A lot worse than with earlier 2.x versions!! I can't believe it.

Historically on weekends my battery drains VERY slowly since I don't use the iphone much at all (i'm home afterall..). I used to be able to go saturday morning to sunday night without recharging.

Well.. i unplugged my iphone this morning. Had no calls, barely played with it. 3 or 4 sms texts.. and it's almost 20% (hasn't shown the popup yet but I guess it's about to).

What's the deal with this?
So 2.1 "improves significantly battery life for most users" .... " while it ****s up the rest of users????????

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, along with others that are having battery issues. The 2.1 update did wonders for my battery life. I've never had 3G on because it drained my phone in 3-4 hours with mild usage (push email, 1 hour of iPod listening, Safari for 20-30 minutes).

After this update I've had 3G on the entire time, used Safari AND the iPod at the same time for 1.5 hours, and there hasn't been any drop in the battery meter. IF the meter is correct, I'd say my battery life has doubled or tripled.

Try rebooting. It worked for me. ;)

battery.png

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
it definitely seems to have improved for me. what i always wanted was longer standby time since there are days i use the phone tons and then days when i barely use it at all. it seems like im finally getting that now. i plugged it in yesterday afternoon after the update, got a full charge and havent' plugged it in since. so after 30 hours standby time and near an hour and a half of usage the battery meter is still nearly full.

as far as having a real drain on your battery, every time thats ever happened to me its been the mail app. it gets stuck running on checking mail or trying to download something when i've been on edge. so 9 times out of 10 id say force quit, reboot or turning the phone off and back on will solve that. you can do the home button thing as well like was suggested earlier.

Kyeris

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Somewhere in Texas
I updated yesterday when 2.1 came out. Fresh install, let it die down last night completely and charged completely.

About half of the usage shown, and all of the calling is what I've done today. Hour of it was iPod, about 20 minutes of e-mail and surfing on 3G, rest of it was texting and the 14 minutes of calling on edge...

I think this is pathetic, maybe my battery isn't calibrated yet I've done it twice in the past two days. I'm experimenting with the tips that have been posted in this thread so far, guess we'll see how it works out.

I used to have edge on pretty much all of the day + push + a little 3g here and there for surfing. Did a few hours of iPod, about 30 minutes of surfing, and a decent amount of texting, and the battery would be at about 40% by the end of the day. I barely did anything today on the weekend, and the batterys worse (I even turned push off this morning to see if I could get anything else out of it)

Suggestions are welcome :eek:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 73

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
In theory, battery life has improved for everyone. The reason why some are seeing the opposite is that some software on their phones is draining the battery in the background. When this happens, the Usage stats under Settings/General/Usage will indicate constant usage. This would sometimes happen in previous firmware versions as well, but back then it was a rare anomaly. In 2.1 it appears to be rather common.

yagrax

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2007
I have original with 2.1 and by boss has 3G with 2.1

We both are experiencing horrible battery life after the 2.1 upgrade from 2.0.2.

Horrible = 10% charge after 2.5 hours after a full overnight charge.

We and others have tracked it down to MS Exchange Server with Push turned On in the iPhone settings. Not sure if this is affecting all MS Exchange with Push On users or just certain ones.

Someone mentioned a stuck calendar event that wants to keep pushing out. Someone else mentioned that simply turning Push Off does not help and that deleting the offending email setup is the only way to stop it.

See this for a better synopsis:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1709775&tstart=30

arubinst

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
Lausanne - Switzerland
The first two days after 2.1, my battery life became TERRIBLE compared to 2.02. Yesterday, I unplugged my phone from the charger at around 11.30 am, after a full night and morning charge. At 2.30, it was already showing more or less a 30 % drop, with just a bit of usage. By 11.30 pm (12 hours later), my batteries were almost empty. Usage was not intensive at all. Indeed, I took two 1h30min flights yesterday during the day, and the phone was in airplane mode during that time. Bluetooth and WiFi were deactivated the whole day. My experience the day before was very similar. This was like 1/4 of the battery life I had with 2.02

And then... something happened... I recharged my phone last night and this is what I have right now, after almost 17 hours of standby and some (very light) usage today. Could someone tell me what is going on?

By the way, I power cycled the phone twice to make sure the battery meter was not stuck displaying wrong information. My batteries are almost full. This is just too strange...

Attachments

• IMG_0001.PNG
    IMG_0001.PNG
    39.7 KB · Views: 81

lansun

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
My phone is working great after the 2.1 update

I updated to 2.1 on friday, and today being the first working day after that, i was shocked to notice that my phone didn't drain a bit even after my regular day usage. I used about 2 1/2 hours of talk time, 45 mins of 3g, and atleast 1 hour of Music on ipod. My charging always dropped to almost half every time i used it in the same way. But today, is the first time i've seen my phone with full charging, even by the end of the day. It has many applications installed on it, i mean atleast 15. I install almost all High rated free applications and few cheap applications from itunes. I am personally very happy with the update.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Better battery life for me. 1.5 hrs of heavy 3G surfing while listening to music (Genius play list) thru the headphones. Bluetooth on (but not connected to anything) and wifi on (but not connected). It used maybe 15% of the available battery power. That easily matches Apple's claims of 5 hrs of 3G surfing. I was lucky to get 2 hrs of 3G surfing before, with everything else off.

jfong425

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
The first two days after 2.1, my battery life became TERRIBLE compared to 2.02. Yesterday, I unplugged my phone from the charger at around 11.30 am, after a full night and morning charge. At 2.30, it was already showing more or less a 30 % drop, with just a bit of usage. By 11.30 pm (12 hours later), my batteries were almost empty. Usage was not intensive at all. Indeed, I took two 1h30min flights yesterday during the day, and the phone was in airplane mode during that time. Bluetooth and WiFi were deactivated the whole day. My experience the day before was very similar. This was like 1/4 of the battery life I had with 2.02

And then... something happened... I recharged my phone last night and this is what I have right now, after almost 17 hours of standby and some (very light) usage today. Could someone tell me what is going on?

By the way, I power cycled the phone twice to make sure the battery meter was not stuck displaying wrong information. My batteries are almost full. This is just too strange...

hey. i had the same issue. after 30 hours after full recharge my battery meter was 100% even though i used it pretty heavily. I was shocked to see this.

My phone froze on me while I was on the internet so i had to manually restart the phone. when the phone turned back on it was down to 30% power left.

I think the battery meter is stuck. try turning off your phone and turn it back on and see how much battery you have left.

jfong425

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
I updated to 2.1 on friday, and today being the first working day after that, i was shocked to notice that my phone didn't drain a bit even after my regular day usage. I used about 2 1/2 hours of talk time, 45 mins of 3g, and atleast 1 hour of Music on ipod. My charging always dropped to almost half every time i used it in the same way. But today, is the first time i've seen my phone with full charging, even by the end of the day. It has many applications installed on it, i mean atleast 15. I install almost all High rated free applications and few cheap applications from itunes. I am personally very happy with the update.

like i said above try turning off your phone and turn it back on. See what the battery is at now. I don't mean to be a party pooper.

arubinst

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
Lausanne - Switzerland
hey. i had the same issue. after 30 hours after full recharge my battery meter was 100% even though i used it pretty heavily. I was shocked to see this.

My phone froze on me while I was on the internet so i had to manually restart the phone. when the phone turned back on it was down to 30% power left.

I think the battery meter is stuck. try turning off your phone and turn it back on and see how much battery you have left.

Well, as a matter of fact, as I said in my original post, I DID turn off the phone... twice!

arubinst said:

So the meter was not stuck! I really don't know what happened, but today, I'm having the same extraordinary battery life. Knock on wood...

macuserjames89j

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2008
Standy & Usage Times

Gave the iPhone a full recharge last night.
Woke up this morning and the battery was down to 50%.

WHAT??? With previous firmware versions it used to be 100%. Once I was up to 4 days of standby time.

So... went into Settings/Usage and it says

Usage 10 Hours, 19 Minutes
Standby 12 Hours, 35 Minutes

WHAT EFFING "USAGE"??? 3G is off. Bluetooth is off. Location Services is off. Fetch is off. Push is off. In short, everything that could have made the iPhone a real smartphone has been disabled to preserve its microscopic battery. So where the hell is this "usage" coming from, and how can it be combined with Standby time? I took the phone from the charger 12 hours and 35 minutes ago. Not 22 hours 54 minutes ago. It's either on standby or it's not. I didn't use it for anything after recharging, I received no calls or text messages during the night, didn't listen to music, didn't fetch mail.

Apparently "Standby" is a relative term in Cupertino. Newsflash: If I tell the phone to stand by, it should STAND THE F**K BY and not suck up battery for some unknown arbitrary purpose.

Here "Standby" is not the amount of time that your phone has been locked. "Standby" is "Usage"+actual "Standby"(the actual amount of time your phone has been locked). The phone counts "Standby" minutes whether you are using your phone or whether it is locked. "Standby" is the total amount of time that your phone has been powered on since you unplugged it with a full charge(12 hours 35 minutes). Your phone has actually been locked for 2 hour 16 minutes or "Standby"-"Usage"=actual standby(phone is locked and not being used).

Why Apple doesn't change the word "Standby" to "Total" or something of that nature OR give you "Usage", "Standby" and "Total" where "Standby" actually is the amount of time you phone has been locked, and then add "Standby" and "Usage" to get "Total" makes no sense to me.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Battery

Since updating to 2.1 I have not had any improvement in the Battery Life. I must charge everynight or I wake up dead (battery that is) :)

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.1 PWNed): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

srl7741 said:
Since updating to 2.1 I have not had any improvement in the Battery Life. I must charge everynight or I wake up dead (battery that is) :)

Lucky you! I have to charge every night AND at work because it would die before 6pm if I didn't. I guess I'm a heavy user. ;)

lansun

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Oh yeah, i spoke too quick!

i posted in the same thread about a couple of days back. I was so happy that my iphone's battery didn't drain a bit even after a full day usage. But i got skeptical after it didn't drain even on the next day! i restarted the phone, and realized that the battery meter was stuck up!
Then i started researching if 2.1 is really a good upgrade. Personally i dont see any change in the way i use my phone, except for the contacts application does a little better than before(not perfect though) and the keys dont go froze!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.