iPhone 3GS with go phone sim card

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ahbba, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Ahbba macrumors member

Hi I know there are a lot of threads like this but I was wondering if you could use a go phone sim on a iPhone 3GS on firmware 4.2.1.

1.do you have to jailbreak/unlock it?
    2. Are there unlimited data plans for it?
    3.how do I do it and will AT&T find out I'm using an iPhone and charge me data?

2. iCouRt macrumors newbie

hey man, i actually work for at&t and im at work right now haha.

As far as a "go phone" with an iphone goes, you're out of luck. you can however bring your phone into an at&t store, and they will set you up with a month to month plan, similar to how a go phone works. but they would still have to do a credit check and you would be charged the monthly rates such as 39.99 for mins, and 20.00 for unlimited texting, and 25 for the 2GB of data.

AT&T does not carry unlimited data and i do not see it coming in the future any time soon either. but i would not worry about it what so ever. i jail broke my phone, i facetime all the time, tether, download a rediculous amount of apps. and i've NEVER gone over the 2 gigs. the closest ive got was 1.7gb. which is still a stretch and that was the only because it was my first month with the iphone.

Best of luck.

3. Ahbba thread starter macrumors member

Do u have to have a data plan? At&t only sells iPhones with a contract but if I didn't buy from AT&T would I still require a contract?

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Don't listen to this person.
    There have been people on this forum who've used the pay as you go plan. No jb required. There is no unlimited data plan for pre or post-paid, unless you've been grandfathered in. However, AT&T can't force a data plan on pre-paid SIMs. If you just want the phone, ipod and wifi, you can do that. However, you can add a monthly data plan. It's not a lot though. If you like listening to Pandora, you can easily use 8GB/month.
    Search the forum for other posts. They go into more detail about how to avoid a locked SIM, etc.