iPhone 3GS with no cell plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattwolfmatt, Jun 4, 2010.

1. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

I have a iphone 3GS, I'm considering switching to Verizon Droid or HTC or something, since I'm on my 2nd replacement phone and 3rd SIM card and AT&T keeps dropping my calls.

My question is, what will my iphone be able to do when I no longer am paying AT&T anything? I know it will be an ipod touch with a mic. But will I be able to use the GPS app (Navigon)? Pretty sure I can't use google maps, since that uses 3G/EDGE data, but the Navigon app has all its data in the phone already, so that should still be usable, right?

Also, will I still be able to download more apps when it is no longer an active phone?

Any other surprises I'm not thinking of?

Thanks.

2. macfan881 macrumors 68020

you can keep it as a iPod touch just put it on airport mode.

3. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Navigon will still work and you'll still be able to get apps over wifi and through iTunes on your computer.

5. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Great, thanks for the help!

6. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

The 3GS uses assisted GPS, so acquiring a GPS fix might be a little slower with no cell towers to pull from. Downloading apps shouldn't be a problem.

Keep in mind you'll probably have to "hacktivate" next time you restore your phone. I know for sure this is as simple as a checkbox in creating a custom IPSW with PwnageTool--not sure about the other jailbreak methods though.

I think you've got everything else covered though. You shouldn't have any problems using it as a glorified iPod Touch.

7. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Ok . . .I don't currently jailbreak. Don't know what Pwnage is, sorry. I assume I'll be ok.

8. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

I may be mistaken, but if you ever have to restore your phone, you'll have to jailbreak I believe in order to activate. The activation occurs over the cell network I think.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What he meant is that you cannot update your iphones firmware without activating it with a valid AT&T simcard.
    Or hactivate it with a JB tool.

10. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Hmm I have a similar question. I have a 3G on one of the lines without a data plan (they don't use data at all) and it was bought second hand. Can I put Navigon or TomTom bought from the iTunes store and have navigation on it? Or does it need to have a data connection?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You dont need data for Navigon or Tomtom.
    They both store the maps on your phone so theres no need to pull any data.
    Just the saved maps and GPS signal.

12. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

Obvlously not. All that time he spent in reading class he was texting and chit chatting with his buddies about their myspace pictures

Not everyone "jailbreaks" though.

Jail breaking voids your warenty. No point in it. It was created by a college drop out in his mothers basement.

13. BearsFan34 macrumors regular

BearsFan34

Wow.

Can't vouch for the "college drop out in the basement" statement, but the part about voiding your "warrenty" (new word?) and saying there's "no point in it" is beyond ludicrous.

Jailbreaking has been more than beneficial for so many people.

Ignore the troll. Move on...

14. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Ha, ha, that's a good one......and it's probably true. :D

15. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

I guess there is a point in it, in this case, if it will restore my phone to being usable after the cell plan runs out.

I can also think something else accomplished by a college drop out: starting Apple (S Jobs).

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Bill Gates was a drop-out as well, so maybe it's a good thing. :p

17. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

How to activate you Iphone for $10

Go to an ATT store and buy a go phone SIM. They will probably ask you for the IMEI of the phone you are going to use. Tell them you have an unlocked phone but do not have it with you and you want them to activate the SIM.

Go home and put the activated Go phone sim in your Iphone and restore with the SIM in it. It will restore and activate and you also now have $10 worth of calls you can make on your phone.

Believe me I have done it.