Iphone 3gs won't charge or connect...alternative?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mindyish, Jan 9, 2012.

1. mindyish macrumors member

I am not sure why but my old faithful iphone 3gs will no longer charge or even connect to itunes with the usb cord. It's like it doesn't recognize it is plugged in. Before the battery totally died, I managed to try 3 different usb cords, tried to plug in via wall and pc with all 3 usbs, cleaned dock connector with small brush and made sure no pins were bent. It just doesn't recognize it is connected. No drops or damage to it before this. However, I have noticed that my 3gs has never charged or even recognized my ipad cable when using the 10w power adapter. I assumed it just wasn't compatible since its higher voltage or something and 3gs is older than ipad 2. However, today I noticed my ipod 2g does indeed charge with the ipad 10w wall charger and cord so maybe this is related somehow. It was before yesterday though, charging and syncing with my original iphone cord and wall adapter. Now though, nothing will be recognized when plugged in.

So, does this sound like its the dock connector module? I read after endless googling that one person did drop theirs onto the carpet and had this issue and it was just the ribbon connector came loose that hooks up dock connector to motherboard. Maybe mine came loose.

In the meantime until I can get it looked at, is there an alternate way of charging such as powermats, or something that doesn't require anything to be plugged into the usb port of the iphone? I am not sure how those work, they may rely on this as well.

Mainly just curious as to what the issue could possibly be before exploring solutions since I can't just go to my apple store since I am jailbroken and its dead so can't restore. Also way out of warranty.

Specs in case needed:
    3GS 16 gb old bootrom jailbroken running 4.3.3.

2. applemessiah macrumors member

Best bet is to replace the charging/connector port. Only ten bucks on ebay and not very hard to replace.