iphone 3Gs won't charge to 100%

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ltn, Aug 10, 2009.

1. ltn macrumors member

I know other people have had the same problem and I searched to see if there were any real solutions but no one seems to have any. I just wanted to check and see if anyone had any updates or answers to why this might happen. Thanks.

2. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I am not aware of this problem. So i assume you tried calibrating the battery?

3. Kyeris macrumors 6502

Just like u49 said, calibrate the battery. Charge it as full as it'll go, let it die completely, and charge it completely back up.

4. ltn thread starter macrumors member

I have actually tried that once before but I guess I can try it again tonight. Any other tips other than to take it to an apple store?

5. Kyeris macrumors 6502

6. ltn thread starter macrumors member

7. msooffutt macrumors newbie

This is an old thread, but did you ever figured it out? I have had this same problem now with three iphones.

8. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

It could just be a quirk of the battery meter. I know that, on my jailbroken Touch, it will often read 95% and have the "fully charged" icon, but when I unplug it, it will jump to 100%. I wouldn't worry about it :)

9. alevisohn macrumors newbie

Week old 3Gs won't charge more than 95%

I am having this problem as well. I've charged the phone directly from a wall outlet and from the USB cable connected to my computer, and in both cases it stops at 95%. It doesn't jump to 100% when I unplug it either. My phone has not been tampered with in any way and is not jailbroken. Any suggestions? Should I contact apple?

10. msooffutt macrumors newbie

I have been through 3 phones that all did this. I have come to the conclusion that it's a software glitch rather than a hardware one.

What I ended up doing was restoring the phone as new, which means you will loose all of your saved data. You can still redownload all of your apps. but your saved data will be gone. If you don't want to do this then try turning off wifi while charging. That also worked good for me.

Now I will admit that about once or twice a month I will still get the 95% charge, but most of the time it charges 100% now and that is with wifi on. With wifi off it always charges full.