Iphone 3GS won't pair with other iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by arose1980, Oct 8, 2009.

1. arose1980 macrumors newbie

Hey folks,

I just picked up two iphones (first time buyer :). Mine is the 3GS 32 Gig and my wife's is the 83G. I am trying to see if the bluetooth is working but on both of our phones it turns on and shows that its search but won't pick up the others device. Any advice?

2. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Bluetooth doesn't work that way on the iPhone. It works mostly with headsets and by playing music via bluetooth to some car stereos.

3. arose1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, I am confused then. How do games work via bluetooth on the iPhone, multiplayer games? Like the airhockey one? The airhockey game actually states for multi to turn on bluetooth and it should connect for both players.

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Buetooth games will work. The only things that won't work is connecting phones and computers together with iPhones for file transfers.

5. arose1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. So if my wife and I both have iPhones and the app, we turn on bluetooth like the games says we should but it doesn't find the signal even though we are about 5 inches away from each other. It just says that its looking for an opponent and that bluetooth connections can take up to 30 seconds the first time, it just never connects. I apologize for the question and appreciate all of your patience.

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

7. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Huh?

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You can't use Bluetooth the way you want. It only finds accessories, like a headset.

9. arose1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand that however when a game uses bluetooth connection for multiplayer then what? The game is specifically stating that a bluetooth connection must be made.

Edit: Even though the game says it needs bluetooth it actually needs wifi to work. Nevermind. Thanks for all of your responses.

10. cdinca macrumors 6502

here is apple's info on bluetooth peer to peer gaming...maybe you will find a solution here. But yes, they should work, if the other is a 3g as you stated.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3621

11. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I know this might be obvious but check to make sure bluetooth is on. Check for the little icon in the top right corner. If its not on usually the game turns it on for you but asks first, if not go to Network I think its in and you should find the option.

-Nate

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Ah, I read that wrong the last time I looked at it. It's just the original iPhone you can't do peer-to-peer with.

13. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Peer to peer over bluetooth does work in 3.1. I used Finger Foos. I didn't think it would work, but the dev said it would work. And it does. I think like Scott said you can make your own bluetooth protocalls in 3.0. I'm guessing the dev did. Maybe their is a standard API for peer to peer and its not supported on the Original iPhone, but this custom protocall is supported.

14. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Well I have done bluetooth games with my 3GS with both 3G and
    iPod Touch's. Make sure the 3G is at least on OS 3.0 and make sure
    both have the same updated apps (games in your situation).