iphone 3gs won't power on; tried everything

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mpmumau, Nov 15, 2010.

1. mpmumau macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Out of desperation I'm trying these forums for help.

About 2 weeks ago, my iPhone's battery completely drained while I was out (i.e. I know it went to 0%, as I'd noticed it at about 2-3%, and then when I took it out of my pocket when I got home, it was powered down completely).

I attempted to recharge the phone, but even after several hours (maybe 6-8), the phone wouldn't power on, and there was no indication on the screen that it was charging at all -- just a completely black screen.

I did a search on this forum and on Google and saw that many people tried the "hold down the lock and home buttons" fix with success, as well as various other things such as holding the home button when you plug in the cable, etc. None of these fixes worked for me.

Tried taking it to the Apple store -- I'm 2 months past my warrentee, so they wouldn't replace it, and they too had no idea why I couldn't power it on.

I ended up sending it to an online repair service. The tech there gave me a call and said he'd replaced the battery and that it was working. He sent it back and I got it in the mail today, and it STILL doesn't power on (perhaps he lied to me -- I don't know).

My only guess at this point is that somehow the dock connector itself is broken. The repair guy I'd sent my phone to said he would take another look at it, but I just want to put this out to this forum at least once to see if anyone has had any similar experience -- where nothing seems to work (although possibly if the guy put in a fully charged battery as a replacement it temporarily worked until it drained back to 0% on its way to me in the mail, and my hypothesis -- that the dock connector is broken -- is correct).

Any ideas?

2. gnychis macrumors 6502

definitely contact the repair service and ask them why it isn't powering on any more... how much did they charge you for it?

3. mpmumau thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I think that might be the only option at this point -- to ride the repair guys (FYI it was fix-iphones.com for those who may be following as similar path to me; can't say for sure yet whether or not they're scam artists, but they do have one strike so far).

They charged me 6 bucks to take a look at it and about 40 bucks to replace the battery, or so they said.

4. gnychis macrumors 6502

this might seem silly... but a simple way to test it, is to take your iphone to the apple store, unplug one of their 3gs and plug yours in. It won't set off the alarm as long as you don't disconnect the security device

5. mpmumau thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah when I took it to the Apple store he did exactly that. I myself have a few charger cables here, as well as a separate dock/stereo thing, and none of those work, either, so it's not my charging cable itself.