iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmpnop, Dec 8, 2010.

1. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

First of all, this is my first ever Apple product. I'm buying an used iPhone 3GS 32GB from eBay. The seller has two phones for sale - black and white. The black one comes with a screen protector while the white one doesn't. Also the black one comes with a case which is not included with the white one. Now, I find small spots (something like faded) on the black one while the white one literally has no scratches (both front and back). I feel like going for the white one since it has no scratches and looks better than the white one but it lacks screen protector. I want to know if screen protector is really necessary or not. Also I'm thinking of using Apple socks when I keep the phone in my pocket instead of cases as I feel cases ruin the awesome look of naked iPhone. What do you guys say?

Black one - http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iPhone-3GS-Black-32GB-AT-T-iOS-4-1-/330501178931?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item4cf367c633

White one - http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iPhone-3GS-White-32GB-Very-Good-Condition-/330505934188?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item4cf3b0556c

The black one includes more accessories than the white one but thats not a biggie..

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

From the pictures the guy posted you really can't tell wether there is scratches on the white one or not. Both iPhones look very clean but the decision is up to you.

I've had screen protecters on all my iPhones from the 2G to now the 4. Sometimes I have a case on my iPhone and sometimes I don't. Depends what time of mood I'm in, lol.

3. jmpnop thread starter macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Though nothing can be said about scratches, you can see the black one's a little faded when you see them in high brightness. And do you think screen protector is really necessary? And what about using Apple socks for iPhone?

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

The screen protector is really up to you. You can take it off if you want to. I personally have one my iPhone: this > http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-iphone-4-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php

Again another opinion with the Apple socks. It's all up to you. Though those apple socks really don't offer any protection if you drop your iPhone.

5. jmpnop thread starter macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

I'm not getting Apple socks for protection, just to prevent scratches when I keep it in my pocket....

I asked about screen protector because the phone already has some protective coating, dunno if thats really good...

6. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Or, you can just let it get all dinged up, like I did with mine. It is just a phone, after all. ;)

7. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Dude just buy the phone, doesn't matter which one.
    If the iPhone you bought has any of these problems, take it to your nearest Apple store and have it replaced.

How To Get the Most From Your iPhone’s Warranty
    via cultofmac

1. Cracks in plastic body. Many iPhone users have reported cracks in the plastic body of their iPhones. They are often described as “hairline fractures.” They usually appear around the iPhone’s buttons and ports but have been reported to appear just about anywhere. While it is unlikely that a Genius will replace your iPhone if it appears that your iPhone has been dropped or mistreated, you should still consider bringing it in for replacement. These cracks are a documented defect and Apple has routinely replaced iPhones because of this defect.

Hairline cracks have been known to form in the iPhone's body.

2. Bubbles under screen. Some iPhone users have noticed small bubbles forming underneath their iPhone’s screen. Take a very close look at your iPhone’s screen. If bubbles are present, you may have identified a defect and your iPhone should be replaced. Apple has replaced iPhones that possess this defect.

Bubbles have been reported to form underneath the iPhone's screen.

3. Light bleeding/streaks. Some iPhone users have reported light bleeding around the edge of the iPhone’s screen. Light bleeding will be apparent if your black iPhone screen has white light around the edges. Although this problem seems to be quite rare, if your iPhone has this defect then you may want to consider bringing it in for replacement.

4. Assembly defects. The manufacturing process is not perfect. Some users have reported defective parts of the iPhone ranging from spaces in the seams to misshapen buttons. Although this is a physical problem, a Genius may deem it to be defective if is obvious or bothersome.

5. GPS problems. Some users have had their iPhones replaced because the GPS unit was defective. Problems with the iPhone’s GPS unit usually manifest in the form of poor accuracy or complete dysfunction. If your GPS locator is routinely inordinately inaccurate or completely non-functional then you want to bring your iPhone in for replacement.

6. Screen discoloration. When this happens it usually occurs in the upper right portion of the screen. You will see the discoloration when the phone heats up, usually after a long phone conversation or extensive video usage. It looks like a light blob when the background is black, and like a yellowish blob when the background is white. Apparently this issue will get worse over time, so you should seriously consider taking your iPhone in for replacement if you are experiencing this problem. When going to the Apple Store, take the time to heat up your phone so that when you sit down with the Genius the problem is clearly visible. They should replace your iPhone.

An example of screen discoloration.

7. Inconsistent WiFi connectivity. Many of you may be experiencing this problem but are unaware of it. The clearest sign is when you routinely need to re-select your WiFi access point whenever your iPhone goes to sleep (when it locks itself due to inactivity). Another sign is your iPhone frequently reverts to Edge or 3G despite being connected to a functional WiFi network. Or you may have noticed that when waking up your iPhone, a wireless network that you had just been connected to is no longer showing up when you are prompted to select a network. While there are many WiFi issues that can be corrected in software (resetting the iPhone, restoring the iPhone, forgetting the network, toggling Airplane Mode, or adjusting password or DNS settings on your wireless router), systemic WiFi problems may be indicative of a known issue with the WiFi antenna. [ur=http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10115812-233.html]If your iPhone is displaying these symptoms you should consider taking it in for a replacement.[/url]

8. Clock and text and/or call reception problems. Some iPhone users have reported experiencing problems with their iPhone’s clock keeping the proper time. They have sometimes also had problems such as delayed receipt of text messages (anywhere from two minutes to 30+ minutes) and problems receiving phone calls correctly (i.e. the iPhone does not ring when someone calls). These problems have been linked to damaged Edge and 3G antennas and may be grounds to receive a replacement iPhone.

9. Camera problems. Many iPhone users have reported issues with the iPhone’s camera. Test it out to make sure it functions properly if you do not regularly use it. Some people have reported greenish tints in photographs taken by the camera. While some suggest that this issue can be remedied by editing the photos, others have successfully had their iPhones replaced due to this issue. Many people have reported other problems with the iPhone’s camera ranging from simply not working to taking photos with strange colors present. If you are experiencing any problems with your iPhone’s camera you should consider having it replaced.

Some users have reported strange discoloration in photos taken from their iPhone's camera.

10. Bluetooth problems. Some iPhone owners have experienced trouble either connecting to or maintaining a connection with Bluetooth devices. If you have been unable to resolve issues with your Bluetooth connectivity, you should consider bringing your iPhone in to be replaced. If you have not tested your iPhone’s Bluetooth features, you should. It would be a shame if you discovered that your iPhone’s Bluetooth is non-functional a month after your warranty lapses, especially with the advent of iPhone applications such as Skype.

11. External speaker problems. Does your external speaker sound muddled? Does your external speaker not work? Does your iPhone behave as if it always has its headphones plugged in even when they are not? If any of these occur persistently then you may have a problem with your speaker or headphone jack. If you are unable to fix the problem by the usual methods (resetting iPhone, restoring iPhone, or inserting and removing your headphone jack) then you should consider taking your iPhone to an Apple Store.

12. Headphone problems. Some iPhone owners have reported problems with their headphones not functioning properly. Make sure that your headphones are not the problem. If the problem occurs on different sets of headphones then something might be wrong with your iPhone headphone jack. You should consider taking your iPhone to an Apple Store.

13. Battery problems. Apple’s 1-year warranty does cover defective batteries. What precisely constitutes a defective battery is difficult to establish. Should your iPhone be showing signs of battery trouble, you would best be served by arguing that the battery was defective, and not that it simply wore out. If your iPhone is exhibiting any other atypical behavior such as excessive heating while charging or inconsistent power monitoring, your argument will be much stronger. Apple estimates that an iPhone battery should last approximately 400 charges. If you are consulting an Apple Genius then you may want to mention approximately how often you charge your iPhone. As long as your iPhone is still under the warranty, poor battery life may be an avenue to demand a new iPhone.

14. Accelerometer problems. Many iPhone owners have reported problems with the built-in accelerometer. Anyone who uses their iPhone for gaming or frequently flips their iPhone on its side to view in landscape mode will know whether their iPhone’s accelerometer is functioning correctly. Be sure you are holding your iPhone vertically when rotating it; the accelerometer may not function correctly otherwise. Remember, it is based on gravity, so extraneous movement (i.e. walking, jogging, tilting, etc.) may confuse the accelerometer. However, if you genuinely believe your accelerometer may not be functioning correctly you should take your phone in to be replaced.

15. Ambient light sensor problems. The iPhone’s ambient light sensors are located near the top of the iPhone. To test whether the ambient light sensors are functioning get a bright flashlight and go to Settings à Brightness and turn the brightness down as far as it will go. Make sure auto-brightness is turned on. Press the sleep button at the top of the iPhone. Cover the ambient light sensors with your hand. Once the iPhone is asleep press the wake button and unlock the iPhone. Note the brightness of the screen. Then uncover the sensors and shine the flashlight at them. The screen should get a little bit brighter. If your iPhone is unresponsive you should consider taking it in for a replacement.

You can see the ambient light sensors underneath the iPhone's face.

16. Proximity sensor problems. The proximity sensor makes sure that your iPhone turns its screen off when the phone is placed near your ear. If the proximity sensor is functioning properly, your iPhone should shut its screen off during phone calls when it is placed near your ear. The screen should turn back on when you move the phone away from your ear. Some owners have reported iPhones with defective proximity sensors. A defective sensor may fail to turn the screen on when it is removed from the phone call position, which results in an inability to use the touch screen while making a phone call. It also may not properly turn the screen off, which results in owners inadvertently hitting touch screen buttons while speaking on the iPhone. If you believe that your proximity sensor is not functioning correctly, you should bring your iPhone in for a replacement.

17. Dead or stuck pixels. If your iPhone’s screen has multiple dead or stuck pixels you should consider bringing your iPhone in for a replacement. At one point in time, Apple had a zero tolerance policy regarding the iPhone screens. That meant that even one dead or stuck pixel was grounds for replacement. However, more recently Geniuses have been reported to deny this policy. Whether it is technically legal for them to do so is a question that goes beyond the scope of this article because it depends on many factors specific to the iPhone owner (i.e. did an Apple representative tell you about this policy). If your iPhone has dead or stuck pixels you may still be able to have your iPhone replaced on these grounds. The Genius may refuse to replace your iPhone, but if you are persistent you may succeed. This is a grey area but it is certainly worth a try – especially if your iPhone has numerous dead or stuck pixels.

18. Mechanical buttons and switches. Although most physical problems are normally attributable to intentional or negligent acts by the iPhone’s owner, the switches on the iPhone may break or wear out. If they do wear out during the 1-year warranty period then it is probably due to some defect. However, be careful because an Apple Genius may be reluctant to replace your iPhone if shows evidence of other external physical damage.

8. jmpnop thread starter macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Thanks alot for the info:)

9. zephxiii macrumors 6502

Judging by the scratches on the screen of my 3GS, I'd rather have a screen protector installed from the time that happened and on.

10. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

Ehh.
    The auction for the black and white listed the condition as good and very good respectively. That being said, you cant really hold it against the black phone that it looks more "faded". Its condition is slightly worse than the white.

Keep in mind:
    1. You can get a screen protector at any time.
    2. How often do you really spend time looking at the back of the phone?
    3. The white phones show less in the way of fingerprints and scratches so while the white one may look scratch free, the way it looks isnt really determinative of how scratched up it may be or looks.
    4. The back casings on the white iPhones have tended to be more prone to cracking.

11. jmpnop thread starter macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Hmmm...I get the black one then...

12. sophiatristin macrumors newbie

You must have to notice that you can get a screen protector at any time. May be there problem with phone, and the white phones are not seems less finger prints and any scratches, so better to keep it without scratches. The white iPhones have tended to be more prone to cracking also.