iPhone iPhone 3gs

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Turtle72, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Turtle72 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have a question.. I have been kind of out of the loop with the recent things that have been happening involving jailbreaking and not being able to update because Apple isn't signing certain things, or, I don't really know. I just need help with one thing, if it is still possible.

Okay, I have a iPhone 3gs running 5.1.1 jailbroke with redsn0w unthethered. (and is unlocked for t-mobile if that matters). Well, it is running incredibly slow and just to open the Settings app it takes a good 8-15 seconds, and any other app i.e. facebook or safari it takes up much more time than needed and half the time doesn't even open up (force closes, much like on android).

What I really want to do is upgrade my iOS to 6.1.2 and use Evasi0n (which I've heard is simple and efficient). I have downloaded the iphone 3gs ipsw for 6.1.2 and shift+click to update (tried to restore, but don't want to upgrade to 6.1.3) in i-tunes, but to no avail as I get the 3194 error. If anyone could help me solve this, it would be appreciated as I would like to go up to 6.1.2 and use evasi0n to jailbreak it. I tried different methods to fix 3194 error such as host file and removing/adding a different code into the bottom but with no success. So, if anyone would like to add some input on if this is even possible, let me know.

TL;DR I am running 5.1.1 jailbroke for iPhone 3gs and want to upgrade to 6.1.2 ios but am coming up with errors. Is this possible? Please explain! Thanks -Turtle72 :)

2. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

You can't upgrade to iOS 6.1.2 anymore (to anyone mentioning about SHSH, I highly doubt he has any valid iOS 6 blobs). You can only upgrade to 6.1.3 which would be a tethered jailbreak for your device

Open cydia and click TSS center, does cydia show SHSH blobs for iOS 5.1.1? If yes, then you are able to restore back to 5.1.1 and see if that helps

If not, did you get to iOS 5.1.1 via an iTunes restore? Or did you update to that version via settings -> general -> software updates or via the iTunes "update" option?

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Even if you don't have SHSH saved for 5.1.1, get iFaith and use it to save your 5.1.1 SHSH.

Use iTunes to backup, then use Sn0wbreeze to re-restore to 5.1.1, but chose set up as new device and do not restore to backup or your slowness will come back.

You can restore your content (music, movies, contacts etc) using the tabs in iTunes - doing that will not bing back your issues.

If you do have any iOS6 SHSH saved, you can use Sn0wbreeze to restore to that version.

4. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

There's always the possibility he updated to 5.1.1 via OTA though

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

It's a 3GS, that doesn't matter for a 3GS since it is susceptible to the Limera1n exploit.

6. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

So only for the iPhone 4 and up, it matters if you updated via OTA or not?

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

3GS and iPhone 4 work
    4S and up do not work

8. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Hmm, I am confused now. Not too long ago, I remember trijethero saying it wasn't possible to dump blobs for device updated via OTA because the ramdisk is different (well, possible to dump blobs but cannot be used to restore)

He was referring to an iPhone 4, NOT an iPhone 4S

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/33546509336/restoration-reinvigoration

Read #1 and #2

10. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Unfortunately, that still doesn't answer my question

So, say there is a 3GS or 4 with iOS 5.1.1

Regardless if it was "restored" using iTunes or updated to 5.1.1 from 5.0.1 via settings -> general -> software updates, the blobs can still be dumped and be used for future restores?

According to 1 and 2, it implies it'll dump blobs with the incorrect ramdisk

11. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The factory fresh/OTA is only an issue with newer devices

You missed the "key" wording in the link I provided: "1. redsn0w now lets you restore an A5+ device from any iOS5 to any other iOS5 as long as you have correct 5.x blobs for the starting (current) and ending points of the restore"