iPhone 4.0.1 update has 'broken' my iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr Baldman, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Mr Baldman macrumors member

Mr Baldman

So at lunchtime i decided to update to 4.0.1.

it got halfway through the update (to the point where the apple logo is on the screen with a progress bar) then i get an error code:9 which is apparently to do with USB.

I tried to restore my phone back to 4.0, same error. I have tried 5 different USB ports, rebooted my PC, but nothing. The cable is brand new and the laptop im using has done many restores/upgrades of both mine and my wifes previous and current iphones.

There are no conflicts or '3rd party devices' as the article suggests that could be interfering.

So now i cant use my phone at all :mad:

2. atomicbatteries macrumors 6502

this happened to me. I tried several different computers, all MAc, then I tried a windows 7 with a clean install of iTunes 9.2 and it restored with update no problem! good luck!

3. mastershakess macrumors 6502

Same thing happened to me using a W7 machine . . . . I have an Apple Store appointment after work today. Until then it's an expensive paperweight I guess

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Had no issues with mine. What I did was simply download, but not install it on the spot. I rebooted and then synced up and updated. The process took almost 10 minutes and my phone is working fine....so far.

5. Creator3571 macrumors member

I have the same problem. I am using Windows 7. I just have a slow blinking Apple logo on my phone. I tried hard reset with no luck.

6. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

did you try on DFU mode?

7. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

I had the same problems and have been researching all morning. It seems as if iOS 4.01 does actually install but it gets hung in recovery mode. Google and download a program called RecBoot. Run the exit recovery mode app. When the screen on your phone turns black, unplug it right away. Supposedly this unfreezes it and the progress bar continues. Then plug it back in and 4.01 should be installed. Just restore from a backup and you should be good. I have yet to try this myself but a search in the apple support forums turns up several successful tries. RecBoot kicks the phone out of recovery mode.

8. Mr Baldman thread starter macrumors member

Mr Baldman

I got it to work - in the end.

I think the culprit was an RDP session that i had open to a windows server - as it links various ports back to the host PC so you can use its devices locally.

Maybe this was interfering with the update process, as it thought the ports/devices were local? who knows.

it works anyway and included 4.0.1 when it restored successfully.

9. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

I get the same error. Tried updating/restoring about 10 times but it crashes out at the same point each time.

Tried a different PC but no luck.

I have a iPhone 4 stuck in recovery mode and cannot get a Genius appointment till Friday night so stuck with no phone.

10. gouda272 macrumors regular

Also make sure you did not edit your hosts file for some jailbreaking purposes. I think that is what messed me up. But recboot on a Mac worked for me.

11. mastershakess macrumors 6502

Apple gave me a new phone without any problems when I had this issue.

12. grodgers macrumors member

Same here. The genius got the same error(9) that I did. Got a replacement right away.