iPhone 4.0 Beta use.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ste1164, Apr 13, 2010.

1. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

How many of youuse the iPhone OS 4 beta daily? Or do you chose not to because of any bugs?

2. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7D11 Safari/531.21.10)

I'm using it on my daily iPhone. I love it.

3. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I'm using it daily. It's reliable enough for what I need.

4. ste1164 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ste1164

I'm guessing not but could you restore from backup on 4.0 or did you have to set up a new iPhone?

5. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

I'm very surprised by the reliability. 3.0 beta was WAY worse.

6. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

No. You can't restore back very easily.

7. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

I'm using it on my primary phone without major issues. Some minor glitches to be sure but very minor -

Weatherbug Pro can't load map data but works otherwise

Sync with Exchange 2007 has a few calendar hiccups (but so did 3.1.3). I'm not missing appointments but they do toggle back and forth between accepted and tentative sometimes.

Some 3rd party apps crash but very infrequently.

SMS - flaky screen jiggles some times but works otherwise.

Orientation weirdness - especially in email. It gets flaky with portrait text but landscape keyboard/status bar sometimes.

Runkeeper Pro can't deal with playlists that came over in a folder

8. ste1164 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ste1164

I know how you restore to 3.1.3. I meant when you installed the firmware beta did you set up as a new iPhone or restore settings from backup.

9. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

so far so good here too. i just wish there was a eaiser way to close apps instead of double tapping the home button. We should have a option to close app or let it idle in the multitask bar

10. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

But not the phone you're currently using?

11. outphase macrumors 65816

I restored from 3.1.2's backup just fine.

12. 05slvrscape macrumors member

I am using it on my daily phone and other than a few apps that don't run properly everything else I have noticed is not show stopping. I would say this is a pretty good beta. Haven't had any problems with the core functionality of the phone.

13. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

I agree, this beta is fine. I actually have no issues to report and all my apps work great.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've joined the developer's program just this past week, but I've not d/l the beta and I don't plan on doing it any time soon. Maybe when its a little more stable.

I'm one of those odd ducks that joined the developers program to actually write iphone software and not install the beta :p

If I had multiple iPhones, then maybe yeah, but since the iPhone is my main phone that I use for business and personal, I cannot take a chance on having an unstable device. Based on threads here, that's a well founded fear.

15. Shorties macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I remember I finally got sick of it, downgraded and waited for the official one after a few of the 3.0 betas still hadn't fixed the bugs that were affecting my use of it. 4.0 has been even faster than the current official one for me, my phone hasn't felt this smooth since the old 2.0 days. Apps load a little slowly though, but overall I am happy with the 4.0 beta. I have found a few bugs, today I couldn't edit one of my contacts which was annoying, but the folders make the bugs worth it in my opinion.

16. AML225 macrumors regular

You CAN restore from a OS3 backup BUT my 3g works much better after I set it up as a completely new phone! Might not be the case for the 3gs but noticeable difference on my 3g so I recommend setting up as a new phone!

17. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Yea, that's what I meant. I only have one iPhone and it's the on running OS 4. Sorry for the weird wording.

18. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

I know I'm taking a chance using it on my life line too but I'm now forever hooked on the new email features :) I'll keep risking it.

19. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Just curious who the "for most" is. Works great for me and I think you are the only one in that thread that it isn't working for. Not trying to argue, just curious what the source is.

20. zacharace macrumors member

Anyone using a 3G iPhone? I'm curious to see what the performance is like. The fact that multitasking is 3GS-only might push me in favor of selling my current 3G and waiting for the (hopefully) new iPhone this summer.
    Anyone else--especially beta people--having similar thoughts?

21. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

No, that person pointed out that you posted from a 3.1.2 phone, even though you said you were using a 4.0 phone.

22. ste1164 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Is it actually multi tasking on the iPhone when i came out of the app halfway through a game to see if it was true multi talking. The game had restated whn i went back into the app.

23. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

No

The games code will need to be updated to "save its state" in the background.

Watch the Keynote, all is explained.

I think a sticky is required, "Watch Keynote before asking questions"

I do feel like sometimes i'm the only person who has bothered to watch it.

24. ExcelonGT macrumors regular

thats odd. Its working fine for me. Calendering and the new Threaded feature is a little wonky but other than that push Exchange is still good