iPhone 4.0 Beta

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iphoneness, May 19, 2010.

1. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

I searched around for a while and couldn't find anything, but I have recently heard of some people downloading the 4.0 Beta from some website and them getting a friend to activate their phone with their developer account with open slots that they have. I have no idea how it works or anything about it, but am curious as to whether I would be able to do something like that and if someone on here would be willing to activate a phone on their developer account.

Any help or information would be awesome. Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd recommend joining the apple developer program (so you can install it yourself) or just waiting.

They're at beta 4 and its nearing the end, so waiting for the gold version shouldn't be too far away.

3. camperdown9 macrumors regular

London, England & Chatillon-Sur-Seine, France
    Hi

This year I paid someone a very small fee to get one of his unused developer slots, but its not without its issues.

Yes you do get to use os 4 early and it is kind of fun. However you get all the problems as well as the OS is only a beta. Example with beta 2 the camera did not work, with beta 3 there was a delay between the time you picked up and call and when you could speak to the person.

My advise is that this year its too late, the finished OS 4 is only weeks away. Next year you could do it, but don't do it if your iPhone is your only handset as you might find yourself without a fully working phone.

Alex

4. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

lol everyone was asking why i never said hello when i answered calls after i put beta 3 on, eventually figured out few days after. beta 4 is fine. I could add peoples IDs free as long as I dont get banned or something lol :rolleyes:
    :D

Yes, it is true. There is issues. I had to go back to beta 1 after beta 2 because I never read the forums to see what issues there were first. 2 sucked major donkey balls. 3 was fine, just a little call lag. Beta 1 never had working voicemail and dropped a lot of calls for me on O2. 4 seems to be fine so far :) yay

5. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

From what I know, people do open tickets and report developers selling slots. The normal practice in these circumstances is to close the account as it would be in violation of the Non Disclose Agreement signed.

6. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

Yeah I know. The reason I got mine was the 4.0 beta was like icing to the cake. Before that I thought it wasn't worth the money until I got a beta to test as I was always looking to upload apps to my phone. Always got an error before but now its gone :D

I don't wanna lose my account :( Imma good boy :D

7. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I know how you feel ;)

@OP, if you really need it, and just cannot wait a few weeks to get a stable OS, or even a few days before, as the Gold Master will most likely leak to P2P networks, then go ahead and find someone to put you on their list. However, do realise that the software is unsupported and does come with its bugs, as outlined above. For optimum environment when testing, you should wipe your device, ie, set up as new iPhone when restoring to beta software.

8. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

The worst part about the beta to me is I keep losing save games :( so this time I just restored back. I think beta 1 never let me backup but the rest of them did :D

9. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Ah yes, I remember this - it send me up the wall to find out I couldn't back or even sync properly :/

10. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

It worked at least once though before i upgraded to 2 because when I upgraded to 2 it kept my folders the same, but then when I had to go back it got errors

11. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I couldn't get all of the application crash logs. Having insufficient data to work from was the nightmare - I couldn't reproduce it in the simulator :/

12. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

hmm mine has backed up fine every beta from 1 to 4