Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobamuknunbabo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
I'm still on 3G on 3.1.2 with BenM.at AT&T profile, so i can tether.

My question is would it be possible to upgrade/unlock to iPhone 4.0
and then able to tether without having to pay extra to AT&T
by installing the USA AT&T profile the old fashion way? (3.0 to 3.1.3)
(i have the unlimited data plan)

i don't tether often, but it comes in handy every now and then like when you go on a vacation, etc.

i also noticed with 4.0, the T-mobile users are using cydia to get MMS/Tethering work for them. any chance that will work will AT&T too?

and YES i know about MyWi, but im trying to avoid the $20 fee =/
and I've also read that you can download the MyWi and deleting trick, but that would require you to download MyWi again every now and then i believe...

your answers are greatly appreciated! thanks =)

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Are you kidding? Its $20...get over it. Taking about tricks to get free apps isn't allowed (or ethical) And no, I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to do this.

Trust me, MyWi is the best $20 I've ever spent on my iPad/iPhone apps. No kidding - buy it!!!

gravytrain84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
LA
Are you kidding? Its $20...get over it. Taking about tricks to get free apps isn't allowed (or ethical) And no, I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to do this.

Trust me, MyWi is the best $20 I've ever spent on my iPad/iPhone apps. No kidding - buy it!!!

But you still have to pay $20/month to att?

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Re: iPhone 4.0 Tethering w/o AT&T monthly fee upgrade? BenM.at profile?

PdaNET allows for free tethering. For the $150 I pay them each month it should be included. Don't feel guilty at all.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
But you still have to pay $20/month to att?
No, it's a one time fee to the people at MyWi.
Personally, I don't understand how anyone could be so miserly that they don't want to spend a one time fee to tether whenever they please. If you expect to get paid at your job, then why begrudge someone the chance to earn money?
People astound me sometimes.

rodalpho

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
I strongly feel tethering should be free. We bought the data, we should be able to do with it as we please. That said, I won't pirate MyWI, because the developer has the right to charge for his work. If a free alternative came along, I would certainly use that instead.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I'm curious about this. I use the sinful iPhone tethering hack.

I think what the OP is saying is will any of the tethering hacks circumvent AT&T knowing that we are tethering. Or will they know no matter what. I do agree with the fact that devs should get their money.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Just to add to the conversation here: Did MyWi go up in price? I think I bought it for $10 just a few weeks ago when I was on vacation to FL and my hotel didn't have wifi. It was fantastic being able to tether my MBP to my iPhone all week.

Sledutah

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Utah
Just to add to the conversation here: Did MyWi go up in price? I think I bought it for $10 just a few weeks ago when I was on vacation to FL and my hotel didn't have wifi. It was fantastic being able to tether my MBP to my iPhone all week.

Yes, it did. I installed MyWi a few weeks ago when on vacation. The hotel wanted $10/day for internet service for 1 computer. I installed it expecting to pay $10, but it had the 7 day trial. Since I had a iphone 4 on order, I figured I'd wait and buy it for the new phone if it worked good. We'll after we had 4 laptops and a ipod hooked up to it, I was sold. When I got home from vacation, I went to purchase it and noticed it was now $20.
I WILL be buying it when I get my new phone this week.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
PdaNET is awesome too. Unlike WiFi, it supports USB tethering and WiFi tethering for both OSX and Windows!

I thought PDAnet only did usb and bluetooth tethering. Not thru wifi.
Wow, just checked it out.
It does now offer wifi tethering.
Very nice.
How do people with 4.0 like it so far? ALot of bugs like the 4.0 MyWi or better?

agjake01

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
When will these be available for the IP4? I assume only after a JB comes out and they can be offered in the Cydia store? Thanks

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

I love the double standard here. It is wrong to steal from the DEV but it is okay to steal from ATT.

shakesfist

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
I love the double standard here. It is wrong to steal from the DEV but it is okay to steal from ATT.

That is a bit of a stretch. It is not stealing. 1s and 0s, delivered to an iPhone. Sure it is against the EULA, but its far from stealing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.