iPhone 4.0, will it erase all my settings?

JosephDuffy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Great Britain
Hey,
Downloaded etc the 4.0 Beta. Opened Xcode, went into organiser, chose the .ipsw file form the restore menu, and clicked restore, and it said all data will be lost.
Can I upgrade to 4.0 WITHOUT losing information such as Apps and settings?
Sorry, I'm a Dev N00b, no idea xD
Thanks,
Joseph Duffy

Enigmah

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
I'm in exactly the same boat as you.
I'll keep my eye on this thread, please let me know how stable it is when your done it and if many of your apps work at all etc.

Cheers

i51330

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2009
Dallas, TX
I shouldn't what?
Lose my data, or shouldn't upgrade?

Is it better to do it through iTunes (Clicking Cmd + Restore), or Organiser?!
Thanks,
Joseph Duffy
you shouldn't loose your settings. i don't have access to file yet. if you can send the fw id try it out first and report back to you. my udid is already registered

FlavaFlavez

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2007
Hey,
Downloaded etc the 4.0 Beta. Opened Xcode, went into organiser, chose the .ipsw file form the restore menu, and clicked restore, and it said all data will be lost.
Can I upgrade to 4.0 WITHOUT losing information such as Apps and settings?
Sorry, I'm a Dev N00b, no idea xD
Thanks,
Joseph Duffy
Just finished with the install. All setting are there. DO IT NOW!!!! (if you are a dev)

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Shame my broadband's throttled at this time of night. Still got over 2 hours until my download is complete! :mad:

FlavaFlavez

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2007
All data seems to be ok. I just saved a backup of my phone before I tried this. So far it's pretty damn cool.

finder39

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
Chicago, IL
i have it on my G2 ipod touch and my friends iphone 3g2 (we are a dev team) it looks amazing!!!!! and is so cool. i wish i had multitasking but i think im more exxcited about the folders

FlavaFlavez

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2007
I used iTunes to do the update. Much easier that way. After the file downloads just hold down option, then hit the check for updates button, select file. Took about 15 minutes to do.

I am currently re-syncing with iTunes so all my photos re-optimize for the phone. They looked blurry because of this. I will make a few calls and send a few texts right after its done syncing. I think its going to be fine.

FlavaFlavez

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2007
One small annoying thing....

you cannot set your wallpapers through the photo app. You have to go into settings>wallpapers.

Now that I have set it to something else, the original water bubble one is gone. Its not in the wallpapers pictures folder by default. Seems to just be gone now.