iPhone 4.10.01 unlocking service

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rayjay86, Jun 21, 2011.

1. rayjay86 macrumors 6502

I'm leaving for a trip in a few days and there are lots of these "unlocking" services online (craigslist, etc.).

I'm wondering if anyone knows how these are supposed to work? Most of them cost in the range of $30-50 but they don't make mention of the Gevey Sim route.

Anyone know if there is any credibility to these things? They say it unlocks 4.10.01 and does not void your warranty.

Thoughts? I was planning on going tomorrow to check it out as I leave for Europe on Thursday.

2. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

There is no legitimate software unlock for the iPhone 4 for any baseband other than 1.59 at this time. At best, they'll hand you a fake Gevey SIM (that may or may not work) at twice or more what it cost them to buy. At worst, they'll take your money, JB your phone if it isn't already in order to install ultrasn0w (which won't unlock that baseband) and walk off with your cash, leaving you with a still locked iPhone.

Sorry. Get a Gevey SIM from somewhere reputable, it's your best bet unless you want to spend the money to buy an unlocked phone directly from Apple.

3. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Depending where you trip takes you, pick up a factory unlocked iphone.

No one can help with 4.10.01, despite what their ad claims.

4. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I saw a tweet today from cutyoursim that said the unlocking service may be starting up again.

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

That would be seriously sweet. I wasn't paying attention when that was last available, missed it by a couple of days. I have 1.59, so it's not a necessity, but I'd like to be able to update my baseband as some have reported improved performance as far as dropped calls and such go. Don't have a ton of that, just enough to be annoying.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

As for the thread starter the only real option right now is the gevey sim. or trying to buy a unlocked phone while overseas. the sites and people that promise unlocks without a Gevey sim will also sell you the Brooklyn Bridge and offer to move it for you for free. (scams) I would order a Gevey asap other wise you might not have it in time. ;) cutyoursim may not be able to do att phones and that was about $170 might be more then TS wants to spend. Also that could start tomorrow or several weeks.