iPhone 4 + $15 data, jailbroken iPad 3G + old $30 data = Ultimate setup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BeyondtheTech, Jun 8, 2010.

1. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I sold off my MacBook as it started to get dated and rather clunky to carry around everywhere, and bought an iPad 3G instead. I activated on launch day and kept the $30 unlimited plan.

Now that the iPhone 4 will reach the masses in a couple of weeks, AT&T decided to "lighten up" on the data plans, a $15 plan for a paltry 200MB.

What if I kept my iPad 3G going on the $30 unlimited, jailbroke it for MyWi, and got the iPhone 4 with that smaller plan?

For a total of $45 a month, one can use the iPad 3G as a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot, which beats the overpriced, separate monthly charge for tethering (which won't even work between the two devices), wireless data for both devices at will, and even FaceTime over that Wi-Fi hotspot.

Apple & AT&T's way: iPhone 4 with $25/2GB + $20/tethering and iPad 3G for $25 to 30/2GB to unlimited = $65-70 just for data

Ultimate Combo way: iPhone 4 with $15/200MB and iPad 3G for $30/unlimited = $45 for data + free hotspot + FaceTime, other "Wi-Fi only apps", 20MB+ iTunes/App Store downloads anywhere

Not a bad idea, no?

2. BeyondtheTech thread starter macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Its actually pretty smart thinking.

Its the complete opposite of what a lot of people are doing, which is also really smart. Buying a WiFi model, keeping the unlimited, and jailbreaking it for mywi.

I plan on doing the WiFi model then jailbreaking my iPhone when I ever get an iPad.

4. Macdicted macrumors regular

I prefer the opposite !

I just JB my iPhone and will return my iPad 3G for a WiFi tommorrow. Why pay for 2 data plans ? Keep unlimited on your iPhone and sell your 3G iPad for a WiFi. I'm sure it won't take long for the new JB.

$30 sounds better than $45, plus the better battery will be helpful for MyWi.

5. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

yeah this is what I'm doing now and plan on continuing to do so.. I wouldn't want to have to carry my ipad with me all the time just to have data service on an iphone. the iphone is meant to be with you at all times, and whenever I need my ipad I bring it with me knowing I have internet access

6. turugara macrumors regular

I do this exact thing with my 64gb wifi iPad and my Nexus. I don't always carry my iPad with me but my phone's with me 24/7.

I could understand a battery life argument though. The iPad has better battery life and would most likely last longer as a WiFi hotspot vs the iPhone.

7. BeyondtheTech thread starter macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

We're all assuming that the iPhone 4 will be jailbreakable. It probably will be. But, we already know that the iPad is.

You're right about reversing the setup so that the iPad doesn't even have to have a data plan, since the iPhone requires one. That saves even another $15 more a month!

But, because I'm not the jailbreaking type by any means, I feel leery if I had to take my contracted device in for service. Even if I did do a full restoration to a stock firmware, I feel like they might still be able to find out it was jailbroken at any point in the past and not perform warranty work because of it. I know for a fact that I've replaced each of my iPhones at the Genius Bar multiple times of the course of the past three years, so I've steered clear of jailbreaking my iPhones.

Also, the iPad's battery is nothing short of awesome, too, so it would last a lot better for MyWi.

I just figured that this is a better way of trying to retain data capability on both devices.