iPhone 4 & 2 Apple IDs...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by malsch, Jul 17, 2010.

1. malsch macrumors newbie

OK, so I got my new iPhone 4. Coming from a 3G, it rocks. But, here's what happened, and here's my quandary.

When I went to sync it & get all my apps on it, the software (iTunes) asks me for my apple ID. OK, so it's been 2 years and I didn't remember which account I used when I set up my 3G, so I typed in the one I *thought* I used.

It created a new apple ID for me. Appropriated all my apps & stuff, all was well. I even bought a few new apps that I knew took advantage of the compass.

So now, I try to run "updates" via the App Store app on my phone. (ever notice that 'update all' never works?) Anyways, it asks for sign in (which it usually does) but it gets stuck in this loop trying to log me into my OLD apple ID and my new apple ID to verify payment information and since both IDs have the same payment info...the end result is that it will NOT update the apps that need updating. Of course, it has no problem CHARGING me for buying new apps, but won't effing update the ones I already have. The irony.

I see no way to delete the old account, or at least I can't find a way. Any ideas?? Should I try to delete the new one instead? I thought about changing the payment info... but I don't want to do that unless I absolutely have to.

thanks for any sage advice...

2. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Sorry, I don't have an answer but a similar question. I want to change my APPLE ID (email) to my Mobile Me email. Will this affect my purchases/updates/itunes? Has anyone done this.

Not trying to "Hi-Jack" your thread. Just figured it was close enough to your question and the info I get may help you.

Blonde Buddhist

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That's a tough question, but if you made all these iTunes purchases with your iPhone then your password and Apple ID should still be with your last backup. Same goes for your computer iTunes account, it should still be recoverable. Call Applecare as soon as you can...(Sounds like you're on a PC) :confused:

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You should contact Applecare as well, b/c that's exactly what I did with my MobileMe email account; it's now my primary email account for my iTunes. They can walk you through it in a matter of minutes...

5. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Apparently you cannot switch your Apple ID to a Mobile Me address because you automatically are signed up with your Mobile Me account. I haven't the slightest idea how to switch all my apps and music, etc from one account to the other. It also seems I would be at risk for what the OP is going through.

Blonde Buddhist

6. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Will do. Im stuck. Thanks!

7. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I have this problem as well. Except it might be more complicated. I have a US and Canadian account, the US one I created when Canadian iTunes cards weren't allowed to be used for apps.

In iOS 3, when ever I try to update an app say in the Canadian store and am currently logged in to the US account, it would tell me that it needed to change stores, and ask for my password for my appropriate account.

In iOS 4, it loops me back to the current account even when the app I need to upgrade was bought on the other account. It subsequently oddly loads up the mobile iTunes home page (as if I loaded the iTunes app on the iPhone) directly in the App Store app....

8. bklam macrumors regular

This just happened to me the other day but it was on a new iphone 3gs. Here's what you do to solve this, applecare doesn't know how to but i researched a bit.

It seems like all the apps that you previously downloaded on the old iphone must be deleted from your iphone and from itunes. You downloaded the apps on your old itunes id correct? you will need to download the apps again on your new apple id in order to avoid the app update error.

If you purchased the app, you may want to authorize your computer to allow it to transfer to your new phone. Not sure if that will work. I only had a couple apps that i needed to delete and redownload.

Good luck

9. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Have you tried contacting iTunes support at all?

10. MK606 macrumors newbie

Problem with US and Canadian Accounts

I had the same problem when updating an app only available in the US. Account I would enter my US account information and then could not switch back to the Canadian account. I solved this by purchasing any free app only available from the Canadian store. I would then be asked for my Canadian info and it would automatically change the accounts.