iPhone 4 - (3) year contract for existing customers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPadThai, Jun 11, 2010.

1. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

Since existing 3GS customers who still have ONE YEAR REMAINING ON CONTRACT with AT&T can do an early upgrade at a reduced price ($399/$499) but needs to sign on an additional 2 YEAR contract, how does this actually make any sense to AT&T?

I'm one of those people who can't get a $199/$299 pricing but I have my 3GS since launch day last year - I have 2 iPhones on a family plan and both are 2/2011 dates for full subsidized pricing.

What I don't understand about AT&T is how are they making any sense from this: If I have one year remaining on my contract, I can get the early upgrade special but all I have to do is sign a TWO YEAR contract deal? Well, I haven't completed the remaining year left on my contract, but signing a TWO year agreement just simply extends my contract by another ONE YEAR ONLY?

So instead of doing: 2 years (renewal) + remaining 1 year left on contract, AT&T let's me just add on another year? so essentially it's only TWO YEARS?

That's quite a bargain really. If AT&T is really that stupid - I don't mind ripping them off if this is the real deal. I don't want to sign up for the $499 pricing and then get shafted by them saying I have 3 years left.

Does anyone else think think this doesn't' make sense? If you signed up for a 2 year contract and you still have a year remaining, how does this automatically get pardoned?

2. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

It resets.
    EX: My contract is up April 2011. If I resign up for 2 years today, my old contract gets cleared out, and my new contract will expire June 11, 2012. 2 years from today.

3. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I don't understand AT&T's upgrade dates. I bought my 3GS a week or two after launch and my upgrade date was 12/10/10. Someone in my office got their 3GS the day it came out and their upgrade date is the same as yours. That really doesn't make sense to me.

4. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

I have been upgrading the first day of the iPhone launch each year, and every year they just start my contract over from scratch. So even if I had a year remaining on my contract, they would just have me sign the new contract and it would expire 2 years from the date it was signed. Again this year, I still have a year remaining, but it will start over on June 24th.

5. foolishfocus macrumors member

In the end, they are still coming out ahead. I wouldn't worry about their bank account.

6. iPadThai thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK - thank you. This contract renewal is a bit of a blur because if AT&T resets your contract and makes the 2 year essentially starting the day of your iPhone 4 activation, AT&T is the one getting a bad deal (from a contract perspective) - because logic would dictate that your contract would be nulled and a new one kicked in - from a financial standpoint, AT&T is getting shafted it seems.

Of course AT&T would still be the benefiting body in all cases but it's just really having the subscriber sign up for just an additional year of service agreement. I am not going to argue with AT&T on this matter but it is a bit ironic that I haven't finished my contract and have one year remaining but AT&T is willing to just let me add an extra year rather than 2 extra years.

7. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Nope, they're not. iPhones mean a lot more money for AT&T over a standard phone. That's also why you don't see other phones getting special upgrades. Also if you look at a Family plan with multiple lines, the Primary line would be upgrade eligible every year, where as the additional lines would be on a 24 month upgrade cycle.